Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection Question

tag
ucdcrew
Contributor

Medical Collection Question

I have a question about a medical collection that is showing on my report.  This is off an Experian report (bold emphasis is mine)  Per below - the DOFD on this collection would be 8/2018 minus 7 years, giving me 8/2011 correct?  I did not go to this hospital in 2011.  I did have surgery in 2/2012 there, but I'm not sure if it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie on this one, or to try PFD.  I'm also fairly certain it was billed incorrectly, I made half of this payment to the OC before surgery, in accordance with their policies - which does not appear to be reflected here.  Start by trying to get an old bill from the OC?

Status: Collection account. $150 past due as of Sep 2016. Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on
record until Aug 2018.
Date Opened:
09/2012

Reported Since:
02/2012

Date of Status:
01/2012

Last Reported:
09/2016

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Collection Question

DoFD could be that date, for a medical bill its the 30 day late after the invoicing. Medicals are some of the easiest to get off, Im going to give you the order in which to deal with them and I would try to get this resolved at the hospital level as you seem to have other issues with it.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While most commercial credit reports provide an estimated exclusion date for collections rather than the actual DOFD, and while the estimated date is usually 7 years from the DOFD, the statutory limit is actually 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

The debt collector is required to obtain and report the actual DOFD.

If you are considering a dispute of the reported DOFD, you need to dispute the reported DOFD, and not the estimated exclusion date.

That requires that you first obtain the reported DOFD.

You can usually obtain the reported DOFD from annualcreditreport.com, or from a report obtained directly from the CRA.

Message 3 of 4
ucdcrew
Contributor

I've got one from transunion - I think its just an error with the reporting.  It literally lists the 'date of last payment' exactly a year before I had surgery there.  I've never been to that hospital before that.  I qualified for my mortgage with it on there (full qual with documentation, its a $150 medical collection) so if I can't get the hospital to pull it back, I'll probably leave it be until I close.  Then I'll try a PFD.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.