Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection Question

tag
Susyflower
New Contributor

Medical Collection Question

Greetings,

I posted a message before but didn't get a reply.  I got a call from a CA about a medical collection they had for $600.  I knew that I still owed the hospital money but not that much.  I told the individual on the phone that I don't believe I owed that and send me a copy of what they have.  He said he would do that.  I got the itemized bill in the mail that the collection compnay had and turns out that some of the charges listed I have already paid the hospital and I no longer owe.  To put another twist on it..the remaining charges that I still have I actually still have the ability to pay the hospital through their online bill pay system...or I could send them a check.  I then sent a short and sweet DV letter to the CA CMRRR.  Haven't recieved the green card back yet or anything validating the debt.  Wondering what advice people have.  Should I pay the hospital and then battle it out with the CA that I don't owe anything anymore or do something else.  This have never happened to me and I'm confused on the best course of action.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
taj_laneal
New Contributor

Re: Medical Collection Question

I also posted a message about medical collections and didn't get much feedback.  Not sure if people aren't allowed to comment on medical collections, or they just don't have any suggestions to give.

Starting Score: 09/14 EQ 596 TU 587 EX 588
Current Score: 11/14 EQ 670
TU 602 (CK VantageScore 688)
EX 656

Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Collection Question

Definitely weird about medical collections around here.  Posts are pefaced: "non-medical" collections.  So what's the gig?  I know we aren't supposed to talk about HIPAA.  But aside from that.

All my collections (except 1) are medical.  I think, from what I've gathered, medical collections aren't viewed as negatively as others to lenders? Maybe?  Or maybe it's the opposite of that.

I've gotten nowhere with trying to work with the OC's - I sent out demanding Hipaa-ish letters (didn't follow the process) and all I got back was a big F You from CA's and OC's.  What I'd recommend to anyone is to get debt validated.  If it comes back as legit, then pay for delete.  Once they're paid and on your reports, they seem to be (my experienc only) extremely hard to get off.

Also to anyone who is ahead of the game - check your EOB's and pay your copayments.  Those dr. offices are VERY SLY and quick to send to CA's.  An emergency room trip will generate at least 3 different bills - one to doc, one to hospital, one to radiology etc etc etc.  I had a surgery and I also had the anesthesiologist bill in the mix.  Even w/ good insurance it's a racket and also very confusing for those like me who don't like to be organized.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.