cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection--Should I contact an attorney?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Medical Collection--Should I contact an attorney?

Hey, all!

So in 2011, I have a few run-ins with the emergency room at the local hospital, because of an infection that didn't go away. It turned out to be 6 separate occasions, which totaled $5,500.

I wasn't working in 2011 due to being in school full-time, so I qualified for my state's Charity Care, which covers 100% of hospital bills. 

For some reason, there was an error in my Charity Care reporting, and it didn't end up covering the bills. I didn't find out until this year, when I started getting bills. Four of the bills were sold to ARS and the other 2 went to a seperate "internal" hospital collections department. I called them and faxed them my approval/coverage notices from 2011, and they took care of it right away and applied it. Turns out, they're the ones who sold the other 4 to ARS. 

They said they will "request" them back from ARS and ask them to delete from their tradeline, but they said ARS doesn't have to agree nor apply my Charity Coverage to the debt they have from me, because they ended up buying these accounts from the hospital's CA. 

Is it true that they don't have to apply it if they don't want to? I thought it was against the law to make someone pay for medical coverage with a certain income at a certain time, especially when they're covered by Charity Care and don't qualify for any other state aid or state insurance. I feel like this bill shouldn't have even gone to ARS to begin with.

Is there anything I can do? I mean, the internal CA did say they will *try* to request back from ARS, but they don't know if they will agree.... 

Should I be worried? I found a site that said if a collections agency is sending me bills for times I was covered by state aid that I should contact an attorney. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the responses... 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Medical Collection--Should I contact an attorney?

Since the debt was paid in full by the hospital financial department, whether late or not, there is no debt to send to the CAs.  It was the hospitals fault and it is up to them to correct it.

That would be you paying for something that doesn't exist.  And it sounds like the hospital still owns the debt so they would get part of the money from the CA for a debt you no longer owe.

If the CA doesn't send it back I would consult a consumer attorney.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Medical Collection--Should I contact an attorney?

Generally, if one ever has to ask themselves if they should consult an attorney, then they probably should do so.

You have a legal tangle of responsibilities, obligations, and credit report deletion issues.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.