cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection Sold - New DoFD?

tag
DCdubblK

Medical Collection Sold - New DoFD?

Hi Forum. This is my first post after lurking and making it 48 pages into the CC forum. 

I am in the process of making a finacial/credit comeback. I checked my CK account and saw that I had a medical collection, due to age off in September and I have 1 other collections account that I'm taking care of. Anyway, the medical collection has been bought by a new collections agency. Does the new CA mean the 7 years starts over? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection Sold - New DoFD?

No it doesn't. There is nothing a Collection agency can do that will extend the DoFD, only you could do that by acknowleding the debt, agreeing to a payment plan, or making a partial payment without a written contract to settle the debt in full. So don't do it.

If it doesn't drop off your report when it's supposed to, dispute it with equifax/experian/transunion.

Message 2 of 5
DCdubblK

@Anonymous wrote:

No it doesn't. There is nothing a Collection agency can do that will extend the DoFD, only you could do that by acknowleding the debt, agreeing to a payment plan, or making a partial payment without a written contract to settle the debt in full. So don't do it.

If it doesn't drop off your report when it's supposed to, dispute it with equifax/experian/transunion.

Thanks, Fergy! 

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The DOFD is not reset based on any payment, agreement to pay, partial payment, etc.

The DOFD is the date-certain when you first became delinquent on the CO account, and thereafter remained deliquent up to the time of the collection activity.

Payment activity may set a new SOL for seeking a judgment, but is totally unrelated to credit report exclusion.

Any and all collections must become excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

Message 4 of 5
DCdubblK

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.