cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection from 05/2012. Never received bill (moved out of college dorm). What to do??

tag
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Medical Collection from 05/2012. Never received bill (moved out of college dorm). What to do??

@shols44 wrote:

Go ahead and pay. Call back and speak to that same person. Unfortunately, in this case, they are doing you a courtesy. If the hospital is not willing to recall the debt, you do have to take a leap of faith.

I did the exact thing in thesame situation, I basically said "Dude are you sure you won't screw me" response "I won't, I will definitely submit a request to delete". He adamantly refused to provide written doc for the PFD, something about blackmail blah blah. 15 minutes after I paid, he faxed a copy of the delete letter sent to all 3 CRAs. 

I'm not saying this will work out thesame, but the mere fact they are agreeing to do it would have been enough for me considering the circumstances. Now if after paying and they do screw you, there is the HIPAA route which only works if you pay. 

Good luck.

+1 to this. They are doing you a courtesy. Putting a bunch of conditions on it can sometimes backfire. What happens if now they decide that you're a pain, so raspberries to you?

If I had a chance to possibly rid myself of a baddie on my report for $30, I'd jump at it. It's a legitimate debt. You don't have a lot of leverage anyway. Trying to force them to do it your way could be the wrong approach here.

Message 11 of 26
CAaviator

Re: Medical Collection from 05/2012. Never received bill (moved out of college dorm). What to do??

I realize that $30 is probably not much for them to want to agree to a PFD.

Would it help if I offer to pay more? $100? $200?

Or is that not even legally allowed? Should I send a PFD letter for $30? $100?. 

The money is not the problem here. It's the stupid bills that I never received, so I was never even able to pay.  Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 26
CAaviator

Medical collection nightmare over, I think.

Called the hospital this morning and was lucky to speak to a nice representative. After 20 minutes of back and forth explaining my situation and telling me "there's nothing they can do now that it's in collection", I asked if they could kindly recall the debt considering my circumstances, so I can pay them directly, and she talked to her supervisor.

The supervisor spoke to the collection agency on the other line and finally agreed that if I pay the hospital at the instant, the collection account would be removed from my credit report. I confirmed twice that the payment would be for a "removal/deletion of the collection account" and not just simply for an "update to paid", and went forward to payment.

Seriously hope this is over at this point.

Message 13 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 14 of 26
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 15 of 26
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Yay! Great news! Congratulations.
Message 16 of 26
CAaviator

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm very grateful that there's a community out there to provide help and inputs when information is so convoluted and deliberately unclear in the credit business.

I'll update in 30/60 days and regularly check if the collection is deleted. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@CAaviator wrote:

I'm very grateful that there's a community out there to provide help and inputs when information is so convoluted and deliberately unclear in the credit business.

I'll update in 30/60 days and regularly check if the collection is deleted. Smiley Happy

No problem, myFICO pays me with Milkduds. I am so happy I can lend a helping hand!!Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

@CAaviator wrote:

No problem, myFICO pays me with Milkduds. I am so happy I can lend a helping hand!!Smiley Wink

Bet your dentist loves that!

Message 19 of 26
J_G
Regular Contributor

Yes pay and once you pay call the CA back and tell the supervisor that he is not following the HIPPA law wich states they can only report open debt but once it is PAID they must delete. Google the HIPPA law

7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.