Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections..HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collections..HELP

My husband and I are both trying to repair our credit scores. Together we have a total of 16 different medical collections on our credit reports that have been paid. They all occured when he was out of a job due to a work related injury--or when we were between jobs and insurance hadn't kicked in yet. We have tried to dispute them and they come back verified. We paid to the collection agency so I'm not sure if the HIPAA process will work..Any suggestions??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Collections..HELP

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I are both trying to repair our credit scores. Together we have a total of 16 different medical collections on our credit reports that have been paid. They all occured when he was out of a job due to a work related injury--or when we were between jobs and insurance hadn't kicked in yet. We have tried to dispute them and they come back verified. We paid to the collection agency so I'm not sure if the HIPAA process will work..Any suggestions??

Hello and welcome.

You don't have to use HIPAA for medical collections but if you want to go that route then yes, you can still do so even after paying the CA.

You can also send GW (Good Will) letters to try and get any paid collections removed.

Message 2 of 8
Eberron
Established Member

I have had a lot of luck just sending letters telling the ca why I needed them removed. I have found that they are really simpathetic to people. At least the ones I have dealt with. I would trying sending a letter and see what happens. I am sure you can have the paid stuff removed.

Good Luck

Starting Score: 533
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your help. I will start with the good will letters

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this an OK letter?

May 29th, 2012

Name of Account holder: edited **********

SSN: ***-**-****

Dr. edited CEO Guthrie Clinic,:

I am writing to your company to ask for a measure of Goodwill. I have several paid collections with Guthrie Clinic as well as Robert Packer Hospital.

At this time we did not qualify for state funded insurance and I was not able to afford what was being provided through my place of employment. That being said, when myself or my children were sick we still needed to go to the Doctors. I fully accept that these bills were my responsibility which is why they are now paid in full. At the time these bills were sent to my family- we did not have the extra funds to pay them. I apologize that so much time had passed until they were paid as we needed to wait for our income tax return to have the extra cash.

My family has since regained stability and we are now in a position to buy a house. However, my credit report reflects these collection accounts from Guthrie Clinic/Robert Packer Hospital. I am asking for your assistance in deleting the paid collections from my credit report. These collections are affecting my family’s ability to pursue our dream home. I understand that you are under no legal obligation to respond to this request, but I hope you will find these circumstances regarding my late payments forgivable. I hope you can find some empathy for the extreme medical and financial hardship my family and I endured and assist us in this matter.

Sincerely,

CC:

Ms. edited Law Office of Burr & Reid

Mr. edited Law Office of Burr & Reid

Ms. edited Collection Supervisor Law Office of Thomas Reed II, Vestal NY

Mr. edited Law Office of Thomas Reed II, Vestal NY

Edited to remove your and their names. - llecs, myFICO moderator

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I personally would start with a GW to whomever is reporting. I would leave out the law firms (I'm assuming they aren't reporting). In my first round, I'd leave out the OC too and send GWs to the CA only.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The law offices are actually the collection agency. I'm not sure why they send them through that way. So far they haven't been easy to work with. Letters are going out tomorrow, hopefully they work.

Message 7 of 8
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Beautiful letter. I started with several medical accounts and have had many triumphs getting them removed, I feel with that letter you will also be triumphant.
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.