Did you mean: 

Medical Collections Issue

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Medical Collections Issue

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Did you receive an actual Notice of Results of Reinvestigation when the collection was first disputed, indicating that it was being deleted by the CRA as their finding in the dispute, or did the debt collector simply report voluntary deletion?

The relevance is that if a deletion comes about as a result of a finding in a dispute, then there are specific reinsertion requirments that come into play under the FCRA that apply to any party requesting resinsertion.  In a nutshell, they must submit a pre-certification of accuracy to the CRA, and if the CRA accepts the pre-certification, they must send writtne notice to the consumer.  The issue is whehter that provision applies, and if  so, did the CRA send you notice of the reinserrtion based on thier receipt of a pre-certification?

After my dispute, I got a notice from the CRA saying that the collection was removed as a result of the dispute. I also got from the first collection agency, West Asset Management, a letter saying the collection has been removed. The letter showed 3 options, 2 of which were checked. "West Asset Management has determined that your disptute is valid and has provided the credit reporting agencies with the corrected information," and "West Asset Management has determined that your account was reported to the credit reporting agencies in error and has requested that the credit reporting agencies delete the account from your credit file" were both checked on the letter. The other option, unchecked, was "West Asset Management's client, (hospital), is unable to provide the account verification you requested. Therefore, West Asset management has closed the account, returned it to (hospital), and requested that the credit reporting agencies delete the account from your credit file." Attached to this letter was a copy of the last bill and a copy of the financial responsibility agreement I signed at the time of my visit, showing my signature.

Edit: The CRA did not send me any notice of reinsertion, nor did either of the collection agencies. The first knowledge I had of the reinsertion was when I applied for credit, was denied, and was told about the collection on my report.

In this instance, I would notify the credit bureaus with the letters.  Scan, or take photos, and upload with re dispute.  If not successful, take to BBB for each credit bureau, and provide the documentation.

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.