Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections - Need Urgent Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collections - Need Urgent Advice

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but have heard how useful you all can be to me.

In 2014 I had a miscarriage and had medicaid as my insurance. After my hospital stay, I received bills from the hospital but ignorantly assumed those were just my copies, and that medicaid will pay. I was new in the country and didn't know any better.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I decided to register with credit karma, only to see 2 collections on my report. I then decided to call the original creditors, but then they explained that medicaid only pays within the first 3 months after the bill was made. This means I have to pay out of pocket.

That's not too bad as am fully employed now and the bill is a little below $1000.00. However, I need advice on how to go about this with the creditors. Will they delete the record from my report if i pay? Can I get a discount? The creditors are; Meridian Finanial Management and Global Credit Network.

I need to deal with this asap.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
lauramg80
Valued Member

Re: Medical Collections - Need Urgent Advice

Google the Whychat HIPAA process. It worked for me.

I don't think we can discuss it on this forum though.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but have heard how useful you all can be to me.

In 2014 I had a miscarriage and had medicaid as my insurance. After my hospital stay, I received bills from the hospital but ignorantly assumed those were just my copies, and that medicaid will pay. I was new in the country and didn't know any better.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I decided to register with credit karma, only to see 2 collections on my report. I then decided to call the original creditors, but then they explained that medicaid only pays within the first 3 months after the bill was made. This means I have to pay out of pocket.

That's not too bad as am fully employed now and the bill is a little below $1000.00. However, I need advice on how to go about this with the creditors. Will they delete the record from my report if i pay? Can I get a discount? The creditors are; Meridian Finanial Management and Global Credit Network.

As previous poster advised google the HIPAA Letter Process and follow exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions PM me.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. will do

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually Medicaid pays claims up to 1 year after first billed and even longer if you have a pending app waiting for federal disability approval so that 3 months is BS. At this late date though there isnt anythng that can be done about it. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a medical biller in Texas and Medicaid here has a 3 month timely filing deadline. If you went into hospital and you applied for Medicaid during that stay and Medicaid BACKDATED your eligibility, the hospital can file up to 3 months after your "add" day on your Medicaid. For example, you went into hospital on 1/15/16, applied for Medicaid, Medicaid took two months to approve you, added you in the system on 3/15/16, your elibigility date would probably be 1/1/16, BUT the provider has three months from 3/15/16 to file any claims.

Message 6 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a medical biller in Texas and Medicaid here has a 3 month timely filing deadline. If you went into hospital and you applied for Medicaid during that stay and Medicaid BACKDATED your eligibility, the hospital can file up to 3 months after your "add" day on your Medicaid. For example, you went into hospital on 1/15/16, applied for Medicaid, Medicaid took two months to approve you, added you in the system on 3/15/16, your elibigility date would probably be 1/1/16, BUT the provider has three months from 3/15/16 to file any claims.

Here in WA state, one year.

Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.