Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections--OC refuses PFD for PIF. :(

tag
leah5570
Frequent Contributor

Re: Medical Collections--OC refuses PFD for PIF. :( UPDATE

I am so sorry for what you have to go through. I feel it too. Amazing how messed up paperwork and attitudes are when you are in a sick and vulnerable state.

I can't offer any good advice, and am pretty sure I will have a lawyer sent after me shortly for attempting to contact the billing manger at my hospital for sending my bill from 2008 to collections before the due by date....

If I were in your position, and had the finances, I would seriously get an attorney. Although this is something you could probably do on your own, having an attorney representing you and your interests is far better and more emotionally safer than dealing with a B**** at the OC ( a doctors office no less ) and now a CA/attorney.

I'd even pursue for her employment terminaton, just because something that could have been handled professionally now is inflicting emotional distress, and financial "ruin", had she done her job properly.

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
Message 11 of 25
poet
Regular Contributor

I wrote such a letter, but never sent it (on the other hand, she shouldn't be working for a doctor's office). It's now April, and what I think happened is that a different CA bought (and increased the alleged debt owed). Neither CA had subtracted the goodwill payments I'd made to the OC. What I think I should do is send a validation letter to the new CA. They certainly can't validate the amount they're claiming. This debacle alone is wrecking my score, which went from good to bad in one fell swoop. I've paid off a bunch of debt and am trying to get an affordable car loan before my 16-year-old junker croaks. There's no way I can take on even the smallest economy-car loan at 13+%, which is what this person has done for me. On my grad student budget, a speedy and equitable resolution is crucial. I would pay it off all at once except that's 25% of my monthly net income.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Message 12 of 25
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@poet wrote:

I wrote such a letter, but never sent it (on the other hand, she shouldn't be working for a doctor's office). It's now April, and what I think happened is that a different CA bought (and increased the alleged debt owed). Neither CA had subtracted the goodwill payments I'd made to the OC. What I think I should do is send a validation letter to the new CA. They certainly can't validate the amount they're claiming. This debacle alone is wrecking my score, which went from good to bad in one fell swoop. I've paid off a bunch of debt and am trying to get an affordable car loan before my 16-year-old junker croaks. There's no way I can take on even the smallest economy-car loan at 13+%, which is what this person has done for me. On my grad student budget, a speedy and equitable resolution is crucial. I would pay it off all at once except that's 25% of my monthly net income.

Are you interested in using the HIPAA letter process? 

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

the thRe: Medical Collections--OC refuses PFD for PIF. :( UPDATE

Could you PM me the hippa process? I am interested as I have 2 old medical collections. Last collections to get off report!!

Message 14 of 25
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: the thRe: Medical Collections--OC refuses PFD for PIF. :( UPDATE

Google the "HIPAA letter program" or the "HIPAA letter process". You'll find everything you need. GL!!!!!!!!

Message 15 of 25
poet
Regular Contributor

I'm finding the HIPAA thing confusing. In fact, I have just contacted an attorney after the medical office today refused to honor a doctor's request for my medical records unless I pay this collection. (And yet, they have it on my CRs as having been placed with a CA.) All I want is to PFD and call it a day. More collection boiler-room attitude from the medical assistants when I try to arrange a payment. I'll let the attorney eat them alive instead. FDCPA violations, anyone?

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Message 16 of 25
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@poet wrote:

I'm finding the HIPAA thing confusing. In fact, I have just contacted an attorney after the medical office today refused to honor a doctor's request for my medical records unless I pay this collection. (And yet, they have it on my CRs as having been placed with a CA.) All I want is to PFD and call it a day. More collection boiler-room attitude from the medical assistants when I try to arrange a payment. I'll let the attorney eat them alive instead. FDCPA violations, anyone?

Don't we all have a legal right to see our medical records? They can't be held hostage. Can they?

I hope the attorney is able to help your situation.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 17 of 25
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@poet wrote:

I have been working in healthcare FOREVER, and many doctors office's staff try and pull this garbage. Any provider (doctor) or facility (hospital) who refuses to release medical records is in violation of the HIPAA Privacy Acts. Find a lawyer who has experience with HIPAA, even though they're far and few between. That said, try and talk with your doctor, or their office manager or billing manager. Medical assistants rarely handle the finances in a medical practice. 

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being that it was the office manager who was so nasty in the beginning and HIPAA lawyers may be hard to find (not sure about cost), I would try to write your doctor and explained what has happened.... from the office manager's behavior toward you, your offer to PFD, and the refusal of records (pointing out that it's a violation)... you may get a PFD agreement and your medical records!   You can always file a BBB complaint with regards to their behavior (and I definitely would, but I would wait to see if I can get the PFD first).

Message 19 of 25
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I 've worked in many positions in the medical field, one of them being a office manger for a small 2 physician office.

I would suggest to contact the doctor, because I bet he/she doesn't know, how you are being treated by this office manager.

I'm sure this doctor will not appreciate this employee running off patients, especially one who is trying to pay.

If you do choose to contact this doctor, let me give you a few tricks.

By phone, ask the receptionist to have the doctor call you and just say"it's personal".

Because if you say its about a bill, the message may not get to the doctor.

If you choose to contact by mail, just a word of caution the office personnel opens all mail addressed to the doctor.Unless

you write on the outside of the envelope" personal and confidential"

If this doesnt work, maybe the states medical board could help,about refusing releasing records....I dont know,worth a try.

Let us know, how this situation works out.Good Luck to You.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.