Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collections Question

I'm helping out my family since I'm in the garden. Working with my niece now.

She has 4 medical collections on her report, a couple from when she was a minor (and my sister didn't pay). Question, since she was a minor at the time and not the person responsible for payment, can we dispute that she even owes them?

Never had to deal with getting medical stuff removed, just want to help her out and make sure she does it right.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Medical Collections Question

She can dispute them and add a note that she was a minor at the time of services. They should not be on her report.

For the other 2 that she actually owes, I would suggest she send them a letter asking them to PFD, if she can afford to pay them. I had a lot of luck with PFD with my medical collections.

Good luck! Kudos foe helping your niece.
05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I'm so mad at my sister for not paying those bills!!

Yeah I told her not to pay anyone until she asks for a PFD and I check on the minor bills. I need look and see if the bills have been sold or just with the agency. I'm hoping they are still owned by the hospital and we can work something though them. She is just so young and has no idea what to even do. I just feel so bad that she's stuck with medical debt so young.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you would like the best way to handle these collections PM me and I will give the information you'll need.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the offer to help! I need to sit down and pull every run to see what I'm dealing with and then PM you. I might not get to that for a day or so. I've never had to deal with medical or collections on reports so this is a first for me.
Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you gdale6 for that info. I've never had to work on cleaning up medical issues, this doesn't look like fun at all. Going to start work one bureau at a time. I'll start with the minor bills and work my way up to the harder stuff.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also try writing a goodwill letter to the OC.  I sent a similar letter for a paid medical collection that showed up on my EQ.  Yesterday I received a call from the OC informing me that OC will request that collection is deleted.  If you use this method, make sure to be firm but also provide details as to why medical bill was not paid on time. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just went through this for my daughter. A minor cannot be held financially responsible. Since I loathe CA's, I contacted the hospital. It was a $51 balance her father was supposed to pay and didn't. I faxed them proof of age ( birth certificate) , they recalled debt from CA, and sent notice to last known address for dear old ex. I told them if he didn't respond in 30 days, I would pay it myself. 10 years divorced and I am STILL cleaning up his messes. Good luck with your clean up!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey could you give me some advice 3 med collections
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.