cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections and score improvement advice.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collections and score improvement advice.

Hello, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with an old medical collection account I have on my reports.  It is from feb 2011, and the amount was $542.  I paid it off around august 2011, but Im unsure exactly because it doesnt say clearly.  August is the first month that is listed in the green okay, with nothing reported after that.  What happened was, I went to the ER for an injury during a college rugby game. My insurance never paid the claim, but since I was on my parents insurance at the time, they never communicated with me that the bill was unpaid, or why the claim was denied.  Regardless, my parents never passed this information along to me, and it got sent to collection.  I paid the bill as soon as I found out about it, but at that point it was already affecting my credit.  Is there anything I can do at this point to get it removed, or just wait the 2ish years left for it to come off on its own?  I know it may have been easier to negotiate with them at the time of payment, but that's long passed now. 

Now that i'm finally done with college and grad school, I am trying to improve my credit for things like a home, new credit cards, etc. My fico 8 scores are in the low 700s because of this mainly, and I really want to improve them.  Not sure what else is holding my scores down, average age 5years longest account 8.5 years, no missed payments on car, student loans, or any of my credit cards.  I know my credit history is relatively short, but I did open my first credit card when I was 18.  Credit utilization is around 10-15%. It's hard to keep it much lower, because I spend a fair amount monthly on credit cards.  I have recently gotten increases on my limits, which should help.  Also, I make cc payments 2x per month whenever I get paid.  I know the fico 9 score should help me some since, it won't factor in the paid medical collection, but I purchased a score directly from experian about 1 week ago, and it was still the fico 8 model.  Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collections and score improvement advice.

You could try writing a goodwill letter to the collection agency to appeal to them to remove the listing.  

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Collections and score improvement advice.

@Anonymous wrote:

You could try writing a goodwill letter to the collection agency to appeal to them to remove the listing.  

Agreed, this is the best course of action.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.