Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections... help.

tag
Kevin7180
Established Member

Medical Collections... help.

Hi All,

Ran wife's reports, and noticed one of her doctor groups has put 2 seperate collections on her TU and EQ. The crazy thing is they are with two different CA's.

The first bil lwe had initial issues with our insurance since the doctor's office billed us incorrectly (Involved Deductible). After it was all fixed,We promptly paid it in full directly to the doctor group prior to receiving final notice. I have the reciept on or credit card from 1/5/2011. The date from the CR is 1/12/2011

So after we paid it, it seems the doctor's office decides to send it to a CA, and they reported it as paid collection even though they never made contact with us, never go notification or anything.

Then it get's better: They then send a 87.00 open collection listed on the CR 11/2011 to a different CA that again we never knew about, and were never contacted or received notice. Since my wife hasn't gone back to that doctor, I called the doctor's office. My wife has 0 balance and no outstanding debts with them.

What can I do to get these both removed?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Medical Collections... help.

Call the Dr office back.  Just because she has a 0 balance doesn't mean they didn't send her to collections.

Ask them about it and let them know you paid it and it reported on your CR without knowing it had been sent.  Maybe they can do something.

Unfortunately, nothing says you need to be told before hand.

Message 2 of 4
Kevin7180
Established Member

Based on the fair credit act doesn't it require a CA to contact you in writing that an account has been placed with collections?

What's interesting is the doctor's statement  says please pay within 15 days of receipt which we did. That to me sound shady that their computer system would send an account over to a CA and first off not notify the person especially when the account never exceeded their doctor's office final notice date nor the time frame listed on the bill. Can a business turn a bill over to collections at any time regardless?

To me, something isn't adding up.

As far as the second collection, she never visited them again and  all services to our knowledge were billed and paid for. Strange that its 10 months later. Even insurance companies are not that lazy.  We are thinking the bill is fraudulent. Do I send a DV to the CA? or just directly dispute it with the credit bureau's?

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They are supposed to send you a dunning letter but it isn't required they do so before placing it on your CR. 

Yes, send them a DV letter.  They have to tell you the amount being collected and who is collecting.  No more than that.  If you ask for the OC and their address they have to provide that also.  They just have to validate a debt exists, not prove you owe it.

Who is the CA?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.