Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections

tag
MacDub
New Visitor

Re: Medical Collections

New to the forum.

I have been reading the previous posts and need some advice (sorry of I'm beating a dead horse here). I had a routine check-up/lab work done in November. Since then, I have a new job and have a new insurance policy under the same insurance provider. I received an itemized bill from the Dr.'s office stating an amount owed, for which I had insurance documents stating that the amount (in large part) was paid by my insurance/HSA. I sent a check for the remaining balance, contacted the billing department, and faxed the insurance documentation showing that the other amount was shown as paid by the insurance company. Fast forward to today when I received a letter stating that the remaining balance (the $180 that was shown as paid by insurance) is being referred to a collections agency. Should I deal with the Dr's office first? I literally got the lett today, after business hours and want to resolve this ASAP.

I have absolutely no problem biting the bullet and paying the amount, my concern is my credit. have worked hard to repair and build my credit and am planning on purchasing a home later this year with my wife. Not to mention that I am a paramedic who will soon be going through fire department background checks, which includes credit history.

Any and all help is appreciated! I'm in a little bit of a panic here.
Message 51 of 76
superdad
Regular Contributor

So does this HIPPA thing also work if the medical collections were included in a Bankrup chap 7?  If so can you PM me the HIPPA info on getting medical collections removed.

Thanks

Message 52 of 76
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Medical if included in a chapter 7 must stay on your credit report for 7 yrs. The 7 yr mark they will be removed automatically. Chapter 7 BK will remain or 10 yrs of the filing date.

Message 53 of 76
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Macdub-
I would contact the doctors office first to ask to have the balance reversed from the collection agency if you pay it.
I highly doubt it has hit your credit as of yet if you have not received a bill from a collection agency. They will try to collect before doing that.
Additionally, you can make payment arrangements if you do not have the funds yet.
Doctors/medical are more inclined to work with you.
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 54 of 76
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

Hi. I have 5 collections medical bills may you please private message me the HIPPA
Samsung mobile
Message 55 of 76
vmoore0607
New Contributor

I am so confused about what to do. I have some medical collection accounts from 2007-2009. They are not high balances and I can pay them, however some I don't remember and they should've been paid by the insurance. I want them removed from my credit report as some have been done in the past from just doing disputes. I don't think I did them all at the time. I have been seeing to DV them but do I do this as well as dispute with CRA? I don't know how to find SOL for Indiana. I think it's 6 years but not sure. Also if that's true, is it 6 years from when it was opened or 6 years last reported? Please let me know as I am highly confused. Thank you in advance

Message 56 of 76
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Medical bills?  The DOFD should be from the date of service.  If you have the means to pay them, try offering a PFD.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 57 of 76
HectorVictorious
Regular Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to this site and to credit repair in general.  I am trying to make the proper steps to build my credit and to bring myself to financial stability.  All but two of my collections accounts are medical and some of them are quite large.  Is there any way somebody can PM me about the HIPAA process or act as my mentor to getting rid of these accounts on my collections?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I am also very curious as to why this cannot be discussed on the forums... Does anyone care to elaborate?

Thank you so much,

Hector

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 591
Goal Score: 700

Cards: First Progress Secured Card $600.00; U.S. Bank Secured Card $500.00

Goal: AMEX Rewards Card, Purchase House by the end of 2014
Message 58 of 76
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@HectorVictorious wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to this site and to credit repair in general.  I am trying to make the proper steps to build my credit and to bring myself to financial stability.  All but two of my collections accounts are medical and some of them are quite large.  Is there any way somebody can PM me about the HIPAA process or act as my mentor to getting rid of these accounts on my collections?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I am also very curious as to why this cannot be discussed on the forums... Does anyone care to elaborate?

Thank you so much,

Hector

Hi HectorVictorious and welcome to the forums. This will help you to answer your question regarding the HIPAA process.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/myFICO-Forums-Terms-of-Service/td-p/4

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 59 of 76
credit945

Hello all,

I have a medical collection account on my Experian CR.  When I sent them a PFD letter, I never received a response.  I called them the other day and they state the OC never filed with my insurance and for me to contact the OC.  I called the OC and they don't know what's going on and have told me that they are researching and will call the Collection Company to get more information. 

I have disputed this account several times and it comes back a valid debt.

What actions can I take now since either of the two know what's going on with this account?

Thanks for any help and suggestions in this matter.

Message 60 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.