Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collections

When our LO pulled our combine reporting in February, it showed a total of 16 accounts from one collection agency between us.  I called them directly and asked for verification, but never saw anything, so we started disputing.  If we've ever seen paperwork on these, it's been YEARS since they sent us anything. They fell off all three of my reports (I think that might be because our very breif trial of Lexington Law went after them and that's just now catching up to the reports since we cancelled a month ago).   I disputed DH's through TU and those show deleted as of yesterday.  

So why did I get a call from them yesterday?  I called back this morning and the man says that there is a stop on my account (well, yeah, I requested verification and you didn't send anything).  Tries to say they don't have an updated address and couldn't send them.  Lies, I updated when I called and asked for them.  He reads off the correct address to me.  Doh!  So, again, I have to ask why did they call yesterday?  Oh, it shows a promise in your account to pay $5k by today.  Hahahaha.  Nope.  But when I called to ask for the verification that lady did try to convince me to settle the account for $5k (and DH's for like $7.5k).  I told her no thanks, I wasn't committing to pay anything that I hadn't verified I actually owed.  So apparently, instead of putting through to send the verification paperwork, she put that I accepted the settlement offer and promised to pay within 30 days.  BS!

So, now I'm not sure what I've done.  I probably woke them back up and they'll report my accounts again after they just got deleted.  And I'm not holding my breath that I'll EVER see the verification paperwork.  Am I missing an avenue or step here with these fools?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collections

What was the DoFD?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What was the DoFD?

The combined report is saying Date of Last Activity in June-Aug 2011 for most of them.  The TU report on his says they are estimated to fall off in 2018, so I'm guessing that's correct. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look up the SOL in your state. However if you are getting a mortgage, they will want all collections paid depending on who your lender is. I have to find the thread on medical collections and a mortgage and will post.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Look up the SOL in your state. However if you are getting a mortgage, they will want all collections paid depending on who your lender is. I have to find the thread on medical collections and a mortgage and will post.

It's the state they are in, right?  I guess we lived there when they were created, but we're in a new state now.  Our LO only said we needed to pay off the judgements (or make them show paid if they were and just not reporting) and get the mid-low score above 580, and then hopefully 620 if we have time.  He said it was best if we cleaned up as much of the collections as we could, but they were a minor thing that wasn't required. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the state you currently live. Do you have any credit cards to help boost your score?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, the state you currently live. Do you have any credit cards to help boost your score?

Okay, that helps.  Our current state has a 6 year SOL.  (The state we lived in at the time was a 10yr.  Ouch.)  So we're still well within the SOL.  Yes, we have open cards.  Granted a very low AAoA and high inqueires right now.  We're workingon bringing total utilization down.  I don't think we'll have an issue hitting the 620s once we pay the cards down and the new ones report.  I could always be wrong, these things are quite unpredictable.  

I wish these dispute results said WHY these were being deleted.  It's obviously not because the CA has decided not to pursue getting paid. 

Message 7 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

SOL can be the state you are currently living in, your previous state lived in or the state in which the creditor is incoroprated or filed their LLC in. If you are trying to get a home loan you are going to have to pay these CAs whether or not they are on your CR, you will be asked if there is any outstanding unpaid debts on your mortgage app and uf you dont disclise them then its fraud. Medicals are easy to deal with if you dont anger them to begin with. Sending a DV demanding validation/CRA disputing may be seen as anaversarial stance and make it much harder for you to get the deletion(s) that you want.

For medical debts:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

SOL can be the state you are currently living in, your previous state lived in or the state in which the creditor is incoroprated or filed their LLC in. If you are trying to get a home loan you are going to have to pay these CAs whether or not they are on your CR, you will be asked if there is any outstanding unpaid debts on your mortgage app and uf you dont disclise them then its fraud. Medicals are easy to deal with if you dont anger them to begin with. Sending a DV demanding validation/CRA disputing may be seen as anaversarial stance and make it much harder for you to get the deletion(s) that you want.

For medical debts:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment

In that case, we're up s*** creek without a paddle and our LO is stringing us along something awful. 

Message 9 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

For medical debts:

In that case, we're up s*** creek without a paddle and our LO is stringing us along something awful. 

Since these are medical there are some mortgage loan companies who will overlook them, I have seen this in a few threads in the mortgage forum,This doesnt mean that you wont disclose them on a mortgage app if it asks if there is any other unpaid debts. I would be checking with multiple lenders to see who is willing to overlook this. I would advise if you are in a financial position to settle these that you do so in exchange for deletion, they will affect your Fico score and the rate you will get even if they are willing to overlook,

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.