Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Debt Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Debt Help

Good evening everyone!

I am in the process (like most of you) of trying to rebuild my credit. When I was 20 I had very good credit. Long story short I made some bad decisions, got in over my head and 8 years later I am trying to get back on solid ground to purchase a home.

Enough about me. Last month, 6 of my medical debts with GLA Corp were removed from my Experian and Equifax reports. My initial thought was they were reselling them to someone else however no new accounts have appeared and the debts are still reporting on TransUnion. I also haven't received anything in the mail in quite some time on them. I can't recall the exact date of the medical emergency or when the debts were sold to GLA but TransUnion says they aren't set to be removed until 2018/2019.

So my first question, what would you guess is the reason behind them falling off 2 of 3 of my reports. Second question, can I dispute them on TransUnion and what reason would I choose to dispute?

Thank you!!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Medical Debt Help

CRA policy instructs debt collectors to delete their reported collection if they sell the debt to another.

The purpose for that CRA policy is that once sold, the new owner can report their own collection, which can then result in two collections simultaneously included in your credit report for the same debt.  Deletion of the first collection is intended to prevent that situation.

However, since they did not delete with all three CRAs, it is possible that they simply decided to simplify their reporting by deciding to only continue reporting and updating with one CRA.  They are permitted to report with only one CRA, and there is no basis for disputing the continued reporting with only one CRA if they still own the debt.

If in doubt as to whether they still own the debt, you can always give them a call.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.