Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Debt Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Debt Question

Our daughter had to go to the emergency room, insuracne paid most but we had a remaining $257.00 on the bill. We began paying the debt to the hospital on 5/4/2011, we had an arrangement. Was sent to local CA, two months later while aggreement  payments were being made. When I mean local CA, I mean same town, the woman that owns the CA has never liked me because she had a thing for my husband a long time ago, yes I am serious. The bill is only in my name so it does not damage his credit at all. I sent all the proper letters and instead of a response, I had the letter returned with a large red "X" and a note at the bottom that she would take this up with my husband (really), so I kept paying the hospital and it was paid in full on 11/02/2011. It is still showing up on my credit with a balance of $82.00. I have disputed as of this morning, plenty of time has passed for it to have a $0 balance. Has anybody ever dealt with this and is it actually legal for to act this way and keep reporting my account as a negative even though it is paid off? I know it is a peculiar situation and it sound weird but it is what it is.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Re: Medical Debt Question

I am pretty sure that is illegal, i would shoot off an email to your AG quickly to see what they have to say about it.....

Or maybe even get a free consultation with a lawyer?

I am sure that someone cant just pickup a debt and hold onto it because they want your man.

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the military and my JAG officer is coming in later this day, so I am going to see what he recommends and how to approach the situation. Hopefully we can get this cleared up because it has taken to long to get my credit up from where it was. Thanks for your timely response. I just think it is insane and almost laughable at how unprofessional it makes her and the company look.

Message 3 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I would tell the hospital of this situation. 

The hospital may decide to use another CA,that may cut into the current CA profit.

Good Luck to you, let us know how it works out.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they have an association with BBB I would also lodge a complaint. Any other associtions as well.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

***Up-Date****

Talked to my JAG and at first he was rather speechless. I showed him the agreement of payment which was fine, but when he saw the returned letter with the red x marked through it, he literally went speechless. He is calling the DA(Monday) which is a close friend of his to inform him of the way the business is being run. He also called and talked to the owner, she was very rude and un-professional and said that since she was civilian affiliated that the military laws (she didn't break military laws, but he is my represenvitive when such things arise and he is free for me) or such had no binding on her, I do not think this is going to end well for her or her business. I am still waiting to hear back on the dispute which will take a couple weeks probably to get done. So we shall see.

Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Our daughter had to go to the emergency room, insuracne paid most but we had a remaining $257.00 on the bill. We began paying the debt to the hospital on 5/4/2011, we had an arrangement. Was sent to local CA, two months later while aggreement  payments were being made. When I mean local CA, I mean same town, the woman that owns the CA has never liked me because she had a thing for my husband a long time ago, yes I am serious. The bill is only in my name so it does not damage his credit at all. I sent all the proper letters and instead of a response, I had the letter returned with a large red "X" and a note at the bottom that she would take this up with my husband (really), so I kept paying the hospital and it was paid in full on 11/02/2011. It is still showing up on my credit with a balance of $82.00. I have disputed as of this morning, plenty of time has passed for it to have a $0 balance. Has anybody ever dealt with this and is it actually legal for to act this way and keep reporting my account as a negative even though it is paid off? I know it is a peculiar situation and it sound weird but it is what it is.

Thank you.

I would hire an attorney for this. This sounds Illegal. Also dispute directly with the bureaus and state your compliant to them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If they have an association with BBB I would also lodge a complaint. Any other associtions as well.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.