Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical OC will not accept payment.??

tag
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Medical OC will not accept payment.??

Helping a friend. 

Sent a PFD asking the OC to request the CA to delete, as I was under the impression that you could always pay the OC when it's medical. 

The CA is highly uncooperative not willing to budge on the account as far as deleting it.

Is it worth paying the CA in full then attempt to enact my hipaa rights?

not discussing it, just asking. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Medical OC will not accept payment.??

The OC would still need to be the owner of the account to accept payment. It is illegal for them to do so if they sold the debt.

You could try but it is actually for paid debts to the OC.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The OC cannot agree to delete credit reporting that they did not make.  If binding agreement to delete is sought, it should go to the reporting party.... the debt collector.

If they decline, you can pay and pursue other means of deletion, such as a good will request or the so-called "HIPAA process."

I am unsure of what you consider your rights under HIPAA, but that statute does not explicitly address credit report deletion based on termination of the debt collector's permissible purpose to conduct collection on an unpaid medical debt.  Such deletion atttempts are based on a legally untested interpretation of the HIPAA statute that are not expressed specifically in statute or regulation.  Your choice on that front.

Message 3 of 7
Spoolingbyu
Established Member

I am having this same problem at the moment.  I tried to pay the OC in December. They refused to take my $3200 and said I have to pay the CA.  The CA says they returned the account to the OC in December.  Neither will take my money.  The OC now says I have to wait until the new CA contacts me and I can pay them.  At the moment both the CA  shows a balance on experian and the OC shows a balance on my transunion report.  This has become very frustrating as I have paid almost $20k in medical bills in the last six months and had 19 CA's removed from my reports all for a 4 day hospital visit.  

Starting Score: 515EQ/556TU
Current Score: 632EQ/632TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Both the CA and the OC can't show a balance, one has to be 0. I'd DV the CA.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:

Both the CA and the OC can't show a balance, one has to be 0. I'd DV the CA.

That is only true if the OC sold the debt to the CA.  If they just assigned it both can report a balance.

Message 6 of 7
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for the feedback. I must have been mistaken by saying you could always pay the oc.. I was under the impression that a collection agency was an agency to collect for the oc.. Meaning that the OC is a client of the CA. 

I should have clarified that the OC is not reporting, just the CA. 

We paid the Ca today.. Guess I'll try the usual attempts from here!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.