Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical PFD question

tag
JonGP3
Established Member

Medical PFD question

I recently discovered a Collections on my Report, the charge is for 197 dollars back in March of 2010, i had moved in May so when they sent the bills to my old address i never got them, but the new person living there never returned to sender.

When the CA got my new address and sent me the first Demand of Payment letter, i immediately asked for a DV. I then disputed the charges, which is what is showing on my Report now.

The CA which is a smaller local company Valley Credit Services based in VA, they are claiming they have a policy of not accepting any PFDs, i'm trying to get names of managers and higher ups in the company to mail/email my PFD letters to without any luck, BBB doesn't list any contacts.

I'm also curious as to what laws exist that make me responable for the debt? When i asked the CA for DV, they just sent itemized lists of services, they did not provide any papers with my signature of me agreeing to pay, nor any policies or laws stating if i received services i'd be liable. Every other doctors office i've been to they always make me sign something that says I agree to pay what my insurance doesn't cover, in this case it did not happen. I flat out refused to sign the paper stating that I would pay if insurance did not cover because the hospital had failed to get prior approval from my insurance. They rendered the services anyway and my insurance did end up paying 80%, leaving me with the 20% bill. Do i have any options?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MrMurphyBrown
Regular Contributor

Re: Medical PFD question

@JonGP3 wrote:

I recently discovered a Collections on my Report, the charge is for 197 dollars back in March of 2010, i had moved in May so when they sent the bills to my old address i never got them, but the new person living there never returned to sender.

When the CA got my new address and sent me the first Demand of Payment letter, i immediately asked for a DV. I then disputed the charges, which is what is showing on my Report now.

The CA which is a smaller local company Valley Credit Services based in VA, they are claiming they have a policy of not accepting any PFDs, i'm trying to get names of managers and higher ups in the company to mail/email my PFD letters to without any luck, BBB doesn't list any contacts.

I'm also curious as to what laws exist that make me responable for the debt? When i asked the CA for DV, they just sent itemized lists of services, they did not provide any papers with my signature of me agreeing to pay, nor any policies or laws stating if i received services i'd be liable. Every other doctors office i've been to they always make me sign something that says I agree to pay what my insurance doesn't cover, in this case it did not happen. I flat out refused to sign the paper stating that I would pay if insurance did not cover because the hospital had failed to get prior approval from my insurance. They rendered the services anyway and my insurance did end up paying 80%, leaving me with the 20% bill. Do i have any options?

I don't think you should be trying so hard to get out of a debt that is seemingly legitimate.  Whether or not you signed the paperwork, you are liable -- if for example, you are unconscious and unable to sign; it doesn't negate your responsibility.  The only exception here, is if you are destitute -- as most hospitals have avenues for people that can't afford to pay.
If you are like many others on this board trying to work on your credit, take the moral high ground.  You've admitted that they did provide you with service (that you needed), the debt is yours.  If you had issue with the quality of service or the amount of the bill, the time to address that was last March. 
What you should do from this point is contact the provider (hospital) - and ask them to recall the debt from the CA, if they still own it.  If they are willing to recall the debt, you can deal with them directly -- then thank them for helping you out.
There's a number of threads that can explain what you need to do from there, in terms of making sure the OC doesn't just forward the funds to the CA.
Also, be aware that trips to the hospital often result in many bills.  Lab tests, x-rays and other diagnostics, typically have consult fees attached.  You should probably check with your insurance provider to ensure that everything was paid; or you may end up with another collection in the future. 

Several other cards in the sock drawer. A few late payments that are legit from a few years ago. I may get motivated while in the garden to contend with Synchrony and try to get a good will deletion. Utilization and inquiries are my main score dings. I tend to sit in the 650-680 range most of the time because I love hitting "apply" buttons.
Message 2 of 9
JonGP3
Established Member

I agree in taking the moral high ground which is why I want to Pay in full for delete, but the CA isn't willing to work with me on that. I will contact the OC and see if they still own the debt, if they don't what would be the best way to proceed? Keep hammering them with PFD letters twice a week?

Message 3 of 9
MrMurphyBrown
Regular Contributor

If the OC doesn't own the debt, post the name of the CA here so if anyone has had luck with them, they might be able to PM you contact information.  Hope that the hospital hasn't sold the debt, because you have significantly more chance of getting this resolved amicably for yourself as well as the OC.  

Edit: Side-note, if they do own the debt -- I wouldn't settle for less than the full amount.  Any remainder, can be (in order from bad to not-so-bad) sent to collections, sold to a JDB, or they can 1099-C you which turns the remainder into income for you; which you have to claim on your taxes.   Besides, from your original post, it appears your priority is to get the baddie deleted, you have more chance if you pay in full since this is such a small amount to begin with.

Several other cards in the sock drawer. A few late payments that are legit from a few years ago. I may get motivated while in the garden to contend with Synchrony and try to get a good will deletion. Utilization and inquiries are my main score dings. I tend to sit in the 650-680 range most of the time because I love hitting "apply" buttons.
Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There is nothing wrong with settling a debt.  If the settlement  is worded correctly, the OC cannot sell it, try to come after you for the remainder or issue a 1099-C.

Message 5 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with guiness.  There's nothing wrong with settling a debt, and I feel especially about this for medical.  One trip can trigger many different bills.  Seperate ones for the hospital, Doctor's services, lab, Xray, supplies, janitorial services (yeah threw that one in there, everyone one else sends a bill why not them?)  I've gotten collection notices from a hospital visit 2 weeks after I was in the hospital.  I hadn't even received a bill or anything from my insurance, just straight to a collection agency.  Just make sure you get the wording right so it doesn't come back to haunt you.

Btw,, the unconcious and bleeding aspect is a whole different scenario.  It assumes that a person in your condition were they to be conscious and of sound mind would agree to treatment.  But then again who's normal?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 9
MrMurphyBrown
Regular Contributor

I agree too that settling is okay in many circumstances, however the OP is much more likely to get the delete by full-payment in this scenario.

If the OC has to do additional work drafting and/or reviewing a settlement on top of recalling the debt, all for less than 197 bucks, they will probably decline; rather quickly, since there's very little in it for them.  

It's already been a year and if they still own the debt, it's best to jump on it while still possible.

As you said, if the OP just focuses on the wording so that the OC doesn't transfer the funds to the CA -- all is good here and on to the next baddie...

Take care Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

If you are successful in getting a CA to PFD, please come back here and tell us how you went about in doing so. I haven't heard any success stories where a CA will approve a PFD on a CO. I've seen "settle" or "paid in full" but the baddie still stays on the CR. Good luck !!

Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

If you are successful in getting a CA to PFD, please come back here and tell us how you went about in doing so. I haven't heard any success stories where a CA will approve a PFD on a CO. I've seen "settle" or "paid in full" but the baddie still stays on the CR. Good luck !!

I don't know why it being a CO would make a difference.  It is still a collection, not a CO,  where the CA is concerned.

It could just be the particular CA you are dealing with.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.