cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Validation from collection agency??

tag
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

Medical Validation from collection agency??

the printout they sent me has the procedure which I got done, is this illegal, privacy issue? What should I do? This is not my credit reports yet and I asked for validation within my 30 days.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Validation from collection agency??

It is my understanding, that due to HIPAA, a CA cannot show you any medical info about your visit. They can only report it via codes. In other words, only you and your doctor should know what happened.

If it includes medical info other than codes, then I'd certainly use that against them in demanding for a PFD (before they report) if you agree with the amount owed.

Some here would probably say sue.

I am not an expert on HIPAA, though. Sure wish I could cite some pary of the Act to you. Maybe others can chime in. BTW, CA may be at fault as well as the medical office; they provided the info.
Message 2 of 4
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

it's listed as such:

code       date     my name       Nerve Conduction           some numbers         charge       balance

Nerve conduction is what I had done, who do I write the letter to? the agency or the original health provider?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

mnegron1969 wrote:
it's listed as such:

code       date     my name       Nerve Conduction           some numbers         charge       balance

Nerve conduction is what I had done, who do I write the letter to? the agency or the original health provider?

My understanding is that if you ask the CA for this information, then that prevents you from using HIPAA. Because you requested them to obtain the information and pass it along to you. However, I am still unclear on all of this.

I would google "whychat hipaa" and have a good read.

If you agree this is your bill, I'd try to negotiate PIF in exchange for them not reporting it.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.