Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bill - 2009

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical bill - 2009

Hey everyone,

I have a collection in my credit for a medical bill from 2009. It is not from the original biller, but from a collection agency. This bill has bounced between collection agency to collection agency (but they were removed with Lexington Law as there were duplicated in a single credit agency) and now is showing as "date reported 1/24/2015" from collection agency A on Experian.  On my equifax account, is shows as collection agency B for the same amount. 

My questions are:

1) Can two different collection agencies report the same debt on two different credit agencies?

2) Being that it was on March 2009, should I just wait for it to fall of my credit report or should I attempt a PFD?

3) The date reported from agency A, that doesnt restart the 7 year period, does it?

Thanks everyone. It has been a long battle to finally decide to tackle my credit situation as it all started with a job loss in late 2008 - and as a side note I was only 21 years old and did not realize the importance of credit scores so I never actively try to make things right back then. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical bill - 2009

Nothing changes the fall off date.

Only one CA can own the debt at any one time. Just dispute (with the CRA) the earlier reporting as 'CA does not have collection authority on this debt' - that all Lexington Law did, and they charged you 100 bucks for doing it.

Entirely up to you whether you want to settle it or not. If its past SOL in your state I wouldn't settle for more than 20% of the original amount.

Message 2 of 5
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

Your best bet would be to dispute. Even involve Lexington Law again if you have the means for it.

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no requirment under the FCRA that a debt collector A report deletion of their collection when they no longer have collection authority and the debt remains unpaid.

However, it is a clear credti reporting instruction imposed by the CRAs in their credit reporting manual and agreements.

The fact that debt collector B has a later reporting signifies their statement to have current, active collection authority, thus inferring that debt collector A no longer has collection authority.

I would definately dispute via the CRA for the collection that is still showing with debt collector A.

If it is not removed, then any satisfaction of the debt obtained with current debt collector B will have no effect on the continued showing of collection A.

Each debt collector was required to have repoted the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA after reporting of their respective colletction.

It is presumed that they reported the same date, and thus both collections should have the same credit report exclusion date.

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have a collection in my credit for a medical bill from 2009. It is not from the original biller, but from a collection agency. This bill has bounced between collection agency to collection agency (but they were removed with Lexington Law as there were duplicated in a single credit agency) and now is showing as "date reported 1/24/2015" from collection agency A on Experian.  On my equifax account, is shows as collection agency B for the same amount. 

My questions are:

1) Can two different collection agencies report the same debt on two different credit agencies?

2) Being that it was on March 2009, should I just wait for it to fall of my credit report or should I attempt a PFD?

3) The date reported from agency A, that doesnt restart the 7 year period, does it?

Thanks everyone. It has been a long battle to finally decide to tackle my credit situation as it all started with a job loss in late 2008 - and as a side note I was only 21 years old and did not realize the importance of credit scores so I never actively try to make things right back then. 

You can also Google and use the HIPAA Process on medical debts.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.