Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bill from 2006

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical bill from 2006

Hi Guys,

I was in VA from 2005 till 2008, and then after moved to Tampa, FL. My first child was born in VA, and had a bill since then haunting me. Just received another letter, itemized bill, with my signed copy from a debt collector. I had signed doctors form and financial liability form dated 03/01/2006. Unfortunately my health insurance didnt covered my maternity charges. Doctor's office called me and I started making small payments of $50 till Dec, 2011, finally i had to stop since i had no source of income for couple of months, and everything just got unbalanced financially.

My question is I disputed through one of the credit bureau and it came as verified in 3 days. Not sure what they did, but i doubt they checked the treatment date. My last treatment date was Feb/2007, I had signed a legal financial liability form in Mar/2006, paid till Dec/2011. Now when does my SOL starts, or which date I have to consider, as my SOL date. 

Is it same as credit card last payment date/first date of deliquency or medical bills have something different.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical bill from 2006

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

I was in VA from 2005 till 2008, and then after moved to Tampa, FL. My first child was born in VA, and had a bill since then haunting me. Just received another letter, itemized bill, with my signed copy from a debt collector. I had signed doctors form and financial liability form dated 03/01/2006. Unfortunately my health insurance didnt covered my maternity charges. Doctor's office called me and I started making small payments of $50 till Dec, 2011, finally i had to stop since i had no source of income for couple of months, and everything just got unbalanced financially.

My question is I disputed through one of the credit bureau and it came as verified in 3 days. Not sure what they did, but i doubt they checked the treatment date. My last treatment date was Feb/2007, I had signed a legal financial liability form in Mar/2006, paid till Dec/2011. Now when does my SOL starts, or which date I have to consider, as my SOL date. 

Is it same as credit card last payment date/first date of deliquency or medical bills have something different.

A derog COed account cannot be reported to your CR for more than 7.5 yrs from its DoFD. A medical bills DoFD is 30 days from the date of the billing if it remains unpaid. If this bill is from 2006 it cannot be reported and I would file a CFPB complaint on whoever is reporting it for violating the FCRA.

Now in some states the SOL can be reset by making a payment so you need to know what your states SOL laws are on this. Welcome to My Fico  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gdale6 for your quick response.

My confusion here was, i kept on making small payments till Dec, 2011. Does the SOL start from this date. 

Or

Its the date treatment was received?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

If the doctor was accepting payments until you stopped paying in 12/2011, and never sent it to collections before that, then I would say that 12/2011 is your DoFD. The account was in good standing until that point.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes NormanFH. Just to avoid collection activity, i kept on paying few dollars every month. But today i received a letter from CA, with my signed copy from 2006. So was curious what to to.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL, for court purposes would begin from the point you stopped paying on the repayment agreement, regardless of the DoFD.

While medical bills are generally considered due and payable at time of service, I would think that if they enter into a payment agreement with the patient, then no default has occurred. DoFD does not occur until the account is actually charged off, and its subsequently sent to collections.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try to argue for the earlier DoFD, but in my opinion its just not going to fly. I will admit I could be wrong here.

Has it been reported on your files?

Message 7 of 14
2b2rich
Established Contributor

I think you're fine.  The clocks starts ticking on medical debt as soon as you receive a bill (which is usually 1 billing cycle out from the date of treatment).

In Florida, it's 5years for a contract (which is usually what medical debt falls under when you fill out the forms pre treament stating that you will be responsible for any amount not paid under an insurance, etc).

As for resetting the SOL, since you're in FL and that appears to be where you were at when you made the arrangements with the doctor, simply making a payment or verbally agreeing to will not reset it.  It must be an agreement in writing and the SOL.  So, if you signed anything in 2011, then the SOL would be up next year.

95.04:

Promise to pay barred debt.An acknowledgment of, or promise to pay, a debt barred by a statute of limitations must be in writing and signed by the person sought to be charged.

History.s. 1, ch. 4375, 1895; GS 1717; RGS 2930; CGL 4650; s. 6, ch. 74-382.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0095/0095.html  

(edited to correct the SOL on written contracts in FL to 5 years)

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didnt signed anything for payment arragements. The form i had signed in 2006 was the legal form, which we usually fill out during our visits to doctors, that i agree u can access my medical records, i agree i will pay, i agree etc....

I visited doctor routinely till my baby was born in Feb 2007. They charged my insurance, insurance declined any maternity coverages. Thats when they call after delivery, and on phone they setup and said me that i can keep on paying small amounts, till its paid in full. Nothing on paper i have signed with them.

I kept on paying till Dec, 2011 and then stopped. I changed my number, and address here in FL, but didnt get any notification from them, that they are sending to CA. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This hasn't been reported by orginial creditor or doctor, but they have transferred to CA. and CA is the one reporting and have kept open from 04/2012.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.