Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bill killing score

tag
vmoore0607
New Contributor

Medical bill killing score

I have three medical collections on my CR. Two are from the same company. The collections were opened in 2008 and 2009. They've never reported after being open. Until now of course. I can't believe how badly it's killing my score. Sigh

I looked up the HIPPA process but I'm a little confused by it. I don't even know if that will pertain to me. Can you even PFD for these things? Ughhh im trying to buy a home here. My bankruptcy falls off in April and that's when we wanted to start looking. We've been establishing credit and it's things like this that drive you insane lol

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical bill killing score

Good news is that you can PFD medical collections.  They are actually the easiest to get to remove.  I PFD my two collections and look at my scores in my sig.  

I contacted the collection agency, told them that I had two of their accounts (not admitting that you own it) and you wished to have them removed.  Tell them that you are willing to pay them off if you remove the from your credit bureau entirely.  They may say that they don't do that, but they do.  And remind them that is an "old" account that is due to fall off in not so long of a time but I just wish to have them removed now.  Again, not admitting anything.  Also, don't give them any information about your other credit or bankruptcy or looking to purchase a home/auto.  That's none of their business.  

Once they agree, you could offer as low as 20% of the amount and slowly work your way up.  When they agree, you must make sure that you get everything in writing.  You tell them to spell out what they want you to do (pay xxx amount) and what they will do in return (remove from your credit bureau).  I set up a eFax account (free) and had them send me on a company letterhead by an authorizing employee the terms of the agreement.  

Message 2 of 5
vmoore0607
New Contributor

Come to find out that one collection will fall off in March and another in May. I assume this is why it updated. The other one doesn't show the date it will fall off. But it was opened a year before the other two (2008). Should I definitely do the HIPPA process on that one? I'm just confused by the whole process.
Message 3 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@vmoore0607 wrote:
Come to find out that one collection will fall off in March and another in May. I assume this is why it updated. The other one doesn't show the date it will fall off. But it was opened a year before the other two (2008). Should I definitely do the HIPPA process on that one? I'm just confused by the whole process.

Please note that promotion of the "HIPAA Process" is against community guidelines, so we cannot recommend this method on the forums.

You could attempt PFD on the collections.   You could pay/settle and then attempt GW removal or wait until the exclusion date.   You also might decide not to take any action (or wait until the collection is excluded before taking action).   The exclusion date is based on the DOFD, so you may want to look into the other collection to determine when that is.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had luck with GW call to a CA with FIVE collections of mine (got to love surgery). They agreed to delete them all and said they update 2/15. They were all paid in full already and I just placed a call and asked if they would consider, noting that I want to rebuild so I can be approved for a mortgage.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.