cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bill no longer in collections

tag
VknRmn

Medical bill no longer in collections

I have a unique situation that I have not found on the forums. Sorry for the long post, but I want to give as much information as possible.

I have a medical bill from 2010 that was never sent to me, and went into collections last year. I received 3 other bills for the same incident that I paid in full. I found out about this bill only when I checked my credit report last year. I called the medical billing company and asked them to send me a bill (and gave them my correct address), but I still have not received it. I then called the CA (got their number from my credit report) and they told me they were no longer handling my bill because the hospital pulled it from them.

Yesterday, I checked my credit report again, and the collection does not show up and my credit score is stellar. I still want to pay off this bill so I call up the hospital and ask them again to send it to me. The hospital said I could settle with them, but are not willing to confirm that its not in collections again. They are not even willing to disclose the CAs that it went to before and insist it should show up on my credit report (I didn't tell them it doesn't). I am currently waiting on the bill, but my concerns are it will show up again on my report. What should I do to avoid this? The medical billing guys are really not being helpful. It also seems like no one is interested in settling the bill except me!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical bill no longer in collections

It is because the medical billing people have no idea how the system works.  They bill, if they don't get payment, they turn it to a CA.  That's about the extent of their knowledge.  If the bill is paid to the OC, there should be no CA showing on your CR.  I would contact them again, and pay them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
VknRmn

Re: Medical bill no longer in collections

Thanks, I'll pay it off as soon as I get the itemized bill from the hospital.

Btw, just out of curiosity, is there any way to find out why my account was pulled from collections and disappeared from my CR? Did I just get very lucky?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.