cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bill paid from tax refund... should I/can I GW?

tag
scmami
Regular Contributor

Re: Medical bill paid from tax refund... should I/can I GW?

And btw, yes this was a "university" hospital
Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 11 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@scmami wrote:
And btw, yes this was a "university" hospital

Ok - that explains it then....I'm glad that you don't have to worry about the judgement.

You should also look into the HIPPA process for removing medical collections ~ some people have had success with that....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 16
scmami
Regular Contributor

I will, pizzadude. Looking into it now! Thanks for all of your help! I will update in a few weeks with their response!
Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 13 of 16
2NE1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing...if the medical facility is state funded as in a teaching facility for a univeristy.  They can intercept your state tax refund.  I used to do the billing for a clinic where I live that was part of a university and we intercepted tax refunds all the time.  However, they can only take your state refund, not federal.  It's called a tax snag or tax intercept.

I did not know this till my university intercepted my state tax refund (it was only $34) but I was already planning on ways to spend that money! haha... sigh Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't feel bad - most people don't know and then when they don't get their money they call and they are REALLY mad.  I dealt with alot of those folks.

Message 15 of 16
mrordinary
New Contributor

You know, when this happened to me,for once we had been planning to pay bills with it anyway so I just shrugged my shoulders and wrote it off....but if I'd been planning on spending the money, id be pissed!

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 649EQ/640EX/642TU
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.