cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bills in collections-advice needed

tag
Mjoh

Medical bills in collections-advice needed

Hi, I'm a full time college student and I have 5-6 medical bills in collections, amounts varrying from $144-$667. Does anyone have any advice on how to get them off my report? Would a good will letter work for the lesser amounts? The oldest bill is 3 years, most recent is 3 months. I really don't have any money to actually pay them, hence their being in collections. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical bills in collections-advice needed

@Mjoh wrote:
Hi, I'm a full time college student and I have 5-6 medical bills in collections, amounts varrying from $144-$667. Does anyone have any advice on how to get them off my report? Would a good will letter work for the lesser amounts? The oldest bill is 3 years, most recent is 3 months. I really don't have any money to actually pay them, hence their being in collections. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

GW letters are only for paid collections (or accounts w/ lates on current or paid accts).

Has SOL expired? If not, and if you don't have the $$$$ to PIF if you had to (to avoid a judgment), then do nothing at all. Sending any letter inside SOL could wake them up and increase the odds of being sued. If SOL had expired -OR- if you have the $$$ set aside to PIF, then you'd start by sending a DV letter. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD letter. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete. You can always offer a settlement amount if you wanted to.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical bills in collections-advice needed

I had a couple med collections few years ago and all I did was dispute the amount owed. I checked back a month later and they were deleted from all 3 CRA's but YMMV.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.