Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collection calls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical collection calls

If you receive a medical collections call at work, can you tell them not to call at work?    If you answer their call by mistake (because you're at work) is this considered a "contact date".   I've heard each time there is contact the reporting date changes.

Also - I have a 350.00 anesthia bill that I just found out about .......should I just send the payment to the surgical center where I had the surgery or do I send to the collection agency?   Do I use the HIPPA process here?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Re: Medical collection calls

Thesedays,

If you receive a call from a collection agency and advise them not to call you at work, they must follow your instructions.  Some will require it to be in writing, but most collection agencies will just take it verbally. 

As I'm sure most will tell you on these boards, don't deal with the CA.  I fully agree with them.  I would contact the OC to work something out with them.  You could lose your HIPAA protection by dealing with the CA, and they will tell you whatever they want to get your money.  Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical collection calls

thesedays wrote:
If you receive a medical collections call at work, can you tell them not to call at work?    If you answer their call by mistake (because you're at work) is this considered a "contact date".   I've heard each time there is contact the reporting date changes.

Also - I have a 350.00 anesthia bill that I just found out about .......should I just send the payment to the surgical center where I had the surgery or do I send to the collection agency?   Do I use the HIPPA process here?

If you can pay this collection in full, follow these steps in their exact order. It's always best to use the HIPAA letter process.

Step #1: You must Opt Out of two things: Your Credit Reports and All Creditors. The first one ensures that the CRAs will not sell your personal data to anyone else (haha…no more data mining). The second one will prevent JDBs (and CAs) from buying and selling bogus collections.

Use this link to opt-out of your credit reports

OPT-OUT CREDIT REPORTS (or call 1.888.567.8688)

Use this link to opt-out from all creditors

OPT-OUT ALL CREDITORS

Step #2: Also, be sure to update your personal information with the CRA's before doing any         credit repair.

Next;

Step #3: Send the pre-HIPAA dispute letter to the CRA ('s) CM (no RR, this is the only letter in the HIPAA process where you will not send it CMRRR) and wait up to 35 days for the results of the their investigation(s). Be sure to follow the guidelines on the stationary and font in the link below. If your med collection is deleted, you're finished. If not, post your results before continuing with the HIPAA process. GL!

PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER

Message Edited by fused on 09-08-2008 11:36 AM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.