cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collection destroys hard work

tag
lemily

Medical collection destroys hard work

This is my first post on these boards.  I just sent a PM to an user in regards to this.

In 2009, my TU score was 424.  These message boards have helped me so much to learn about credit.  My wife and I are gardening right now.

I was so proud of her...she's hit 754, 747 and 728 respectively with EQ, TU and EX.  My scores are 691 EQ, 667 Tu and 768 EX.

today, her score dropped 74 with EQ and 54 with EX.  I subscribe to myfico for both of us...and saw this. 

I contacted the collection agency...two miles from my house, btw, and they were rude when i offered a full PFD.  Said it can't be done.  WEll they did for me in the past on another bill...so i think they can.

my wife even went in and tried to talk to them, but to no avail.  I called the local hospital and they said they sold this acct on March 18 to the CA - I asked could they pull it back from the CA and they said no.  So now i'm left to deal with the CA.

The CA told my wife they sent us a letter on Mar 22 and it was returned.  Then they called our home phone and it was not working (we've used cells only for 4 years).  Even the hospital for this bill has our current info.  So they sent us a letter again in late April which we recieved in May...i thought I had 60 days to handle this...but I wasn't aware the 60 days were nearly over when we got the notice.

Any recommendations?  We've worked so hard on our credit this has ruined my day.   I'm trying to research if the 60 days for collections if from notification or what.  Because we weren't notified until may. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Re: Medical collection destroys hard work

@lemily wrote:

This is my first post on these boards.  I just sent a PM to an user in regards to this.

In 2009, my TU score was 424.  These message boards have helped me so much to learn about credit.  My wife and I are gardening right now.

I was so proud of her...she's hit 754, 747 and 728 respectively with EQ, TU and EX.  My scores are 691 EQ, 667 Tu and 768 EX.

today, her score dropped 74 with EQ and 54 with EX.  I subscribe to myfico for both of us...and saw this. 

I contacted the collection agency...two miles from my house, btw, and they were rude when i offered a full PFD.  Said it can't be done.  WEll they did for me in the past on another bill...so i think they can.

my wife even went in and tried to talk to them, but to no avail.  I called the local hospital and they said they sold this acct on March 18 to the CA - I asked could they pull it back from the CA and they said no.  So now i'm left to deal with the CA.

The CA told my wife they sent us a letter on Mar 22 and it was returned.  Then they called our home phone and it was not working (we've used cells only for 4 years).  Even the hospital for this bill has our current info.  So they sent us a letter again in late April which we recieved in May...i thought I had 60 days to handle this...but I wasn't aware the 60 days were nearly over when we got the notice.

Any recommendations?  We've worked so hard on our credit this has ruined my day.   I'm trying to research if the 60 days for collections if from notification or what.  Because we weren't notified until may. 

Google Why Chat's HIPAA LETTER and follow exactly what it says! 

For some reason it's not allowed to be discussed on the forum, but I have heard of this working for several people on the forum.

Good Luck!

Starting all over again!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Google whychat and go to the other forum, ask for helpand follow the guides to the T!

Message 3 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree, it's worth researching the HIPAA process, and going from there.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 7
lemily

Thank you all for your replies.

i went to the site - involves several steps - but at this point it might be my best course of action.

Message 5 of 7
lemily

Prayed to God for me to find favor with above collection agency....the wife went in and spoke with them to no avail.  Yesterday, I go in and ask to speak to a supervisor and explained to them the notice we recieved was only 45 days old...even though they've had the collection 60+ days.

She listened, and then promptly removed the collection from our credit...and gave me a deletion letter to boot!

PTL!

I'm also so very thankful this forum exists and you all are so helpful!

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on getting the deletion

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.