Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical collections

Can someone explain to me why the above stickied  "What Steps Do I Take? Do I DV? PFD?"  specificilly states "for non medical collections only"?  Why is the pfd process explained not intended for medical debts?  why are they handled any differently?  

All of my baddies are from a car accident all medical related gone to ca's.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical collections

You can certainly use PFDs for medical debts. At one point we agressively promoted the HIPAA process to aid in the removal of medical debts. Sending PFDs to the CAs would void out that process due to the medical privacy, but alsi it contradicts the HIPAA process anyway. Either method, the HIPAA process or the DV-PFD route, works well for medical debts, IMO.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked up the hippa process.  It doesnt really make sense to me, it seems that its trying to help by using new medical privacy laws to bypass the ca, pay the oc, and get all negative reports removed by oc and ca.  It also seems to be alot more work and  you must "pay in full"  no negotiiating in order to go that route?  what are the advantages of going the hippa route? 

Message 3 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Well; the major advantage is that the HIPPA works. It does take more work, but it works a lot more than it doesn't. All over the web you read stories with real results.

PFD is hit or miss, and a lot more miss when dealing with medical. Reason being, medical is often times just assigned to a CA, and not owned by the CA. The incentive for them is less, because they are getting less of a cut of the proceeds. If they owned the debt outright, like, lets say a credit card debt they bought for 7 cents on the dollar, they would be a lot more likely to swing a deal.

I had 5 medical records on my account, and I had no luck with them on the PFD. They basically laughed at me and I was offering full amounts. So; I shunned them and paid the OC. Even if I can't HIPPA them off; I at least get the satisfaction of knowing another bloodsucking CA didn't get a cent from me.

Just my opinion

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.