Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical collections

Hi all, just received notice on website that I have had 2 medical collections added to my credit report. Never received any type of information on me owing this hospital as I haven't been to this hospital in years. What do I need to do? Also just got a letter from United collection bureau for a collection that I'm aware of and was paying on from June of this year what do I need to do so that this doesn't hit my credit reports?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical collections

Call the hospital and find out what it was for, so you can verify it is your debt.  Find out the amounts owed and the date you were first delequent as well.  Once you have this information you can decide where to go with it.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Send them a request for debt validation no later than 30 days after receipt of their collection notice.

That will impose an automatic cease collection bar, and hopefully they will send validation or remove.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is not going to go over very well in here but a few months ago I caught a couple of small collections on my report ($80's, both) and I called up the collection agencies.  As always, they answered "This call will be recorded" and I said "Yeah, doesn't everybody record calls these days - me too" and the first agency I called, the lady caught it and said she had to hang up because they don't authorize recordings from other parties.  I hung up and called again and the next person didn't catch it, or say anything if he did.  I asked them what the debt was (in both cases - the second CA CSA didn't say anything about my recording comment either), they told me and I told them I didn't think they were mine.  They, of course, starting arguing with me and I said (again, basically - to both) "Look, since I don't think this is mine, I'm willing to let it fall off my credit report in a few years, but if I'm willing to pay $50 (again - both CA's) right now just to get this item off of my credit report, will you delete it completely from my CR's?"

So, both said "Yeah, that's what we do - we just want your money - it could take 30 days but we'll remove it from your report."  Both put me on hold while they "spoke with their supervisor and asked if they could accept my offer".  In both cases, they came back and cheerfully told me they take all major credit cards and I paid them both the $50 settlement offer.  They actually DID remove these two baddies as promised.

YMMV (your mileage may vary).  At least I had recordings of them, without them protesting my VERY CASUAL statement that I, too was recording the convo, so I felt like I had them by the 'nads.  BOL and either give this a try or some of the (perhaps?) better advice offered in this fantastic forum. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Yeah, doesn't everybody record calls these days - me too" and the first agency I called, the lady caught it and said she had to hang up because they don't authorize recordings from other parties. "

Pretty sure that would never hold up in court, even in a "two party" state.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actual statement was probably more like "Yeah, I'm recording it too...doesn't everyone these days?".  Pretty sure it'd hold up here in Alabama where I live and probably anywhere else.  I think the key was I mentioned it extremely casually so as to help keep from raising the flag.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Actual statement was probably more like "Yeah, I'm recording it too...doesn't everyone these days?".  Pretty sure it'd hold up here in Alabama where I live and probably anywhere else.  I think the key was I mentioned it extremely casually so as to help keep from raising the flag.

Only two party states require such a notice. And if a CA tried to use that line in court (basically saying I can record but you can't) they would be laughed out of court.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.