Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical debt re-age?

tag
CaliCreditCrazy
Established Member

Medical debt re-age?

I'm seeing alot of different answers regarding this question on the web, so I'm asking it again to be absolutely certain.  Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere already.

Is there anything that will cause a medical debt to re-age?  I have a medical debt that is 11 or so months away from California SOL (4 years) and I wanted to send a PFD attempt.  I just don't want to tempt fate with a debt that is so close to SOL and find out it is re-aged.

Thanks in advance.

Starting scores: Around 519 (Pulled for auto loan in 2009)
Current FICO8: EQ 667 / TU 793 / EX 643
Credit Karma Vantage 3.0: TU 748 / EQ 701
Credit.com Vantage 3.0: TU 694 EX 704
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical debt re-age?

Sending a PFD offer will not reage the debt. The only thing that may get you into trouble with the SOL changing is if you entered a payment plan with them to pay the debt and then failed to make the payments that you agreed to and even that I am not complelety sure about, but it is something that I would avoid doing.

I would send the PFD and try to get if off your reports. Just be prepared to pay the full amount since it is still within SOL, they may be unlikely to budge on the cost of the account.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

California is one of the states that requires a signed agreement to reset SOL.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Really? I live in CA and recently had a medical collection re-age because I called and asked for a PFD. It was sent to collections in Dec 2014 and in my effort to rebuild I called and asked for a PFD in Feb 2015 and it updated to Feb 2015. 

I ended up disputing it and got it removed.. maybe because they were doing shady stuff like that. Good to know!

Btw original poster, (I'm sorry I don't remember your name because now I'm replying to Norman's post haha)- if you send a PFD letter to the collection agency, make sure you indicate that you are not acknowledging the debt- just in case. 

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Really? I live in CA and recently had a medical collection re-age because I called and asked for a PFD. It was sent to collections in Dec 2014 and in my effort to rebuild I called and asked for a PFD in Feb 2015 and it updated to Feb 2015. 

I ended up disputing it and got it removed.. maybe because they were doing shady stuff like that. Good to know!

Btw original poster, (I'm sorry I don't remember your name because now I'm replying to Norman's post haha)- if you send a PFD letter to the collection agency, make sure you indicate that you are not acknowledging the debt- just in case. 

Updating a TL is not reaging it. They can updated it every month if they want the entire time its on file. The DoFD is set by the OC and everyone has to abide by that, it can remain on fle a max of 7.5 yrs from the DoFD. Updating its unpaid status every month keeps it new in Ficos eyes and the result is your score doesnt recover.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats simply updating of the report, and has no bearing on the SOL.. Poster is concerned with the possibility of being sued, not with reporting dates. They just stated it wrong by using the term "re-age", which refers to changing the reported DoFD in order to keep it on your reports longer, and is ALWAYS illegal. Resetting of the SOL does not change the DoFD and does not effect the reporting period.

In general the SOL can be "reset" to new date by a repayment agreement, and then subsequently failing to pay it. In California and more than a dozen other states, a written and signed repayment agreement must be in place for the SOL to be reset. by a later default.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats simply updating of the report, and has no bearing on the SOL.. Poster is concerned with the possibility of being sued, not with reporting dates. They just stated it wrong by using the term "re-age", which refers to changing the reported DoFD in order to keep it on your reports longer, and is ALWAYS illegal. Resetting of the SOL does not change the DoFD and does not effect the reporting period.

In general the SOL can be "reset" to new date by a repayment agreement, and then subsequently failing to pay it. In California and more than a dozen other states, a written and signed repayment agreement must be in place for the SOL to be reset. by a later default.

Ahhh okay got it. Great info! Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.