Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical judgment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical judgment

Now that I'm addicted to this site,I am trying to help a friend clear up some credit issues.He only has two collections, but he also has a medical judgement. Is there a special process like HIPPA, for the medical judgement? He wants to pay it, but not sure about the right way to go about it. Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical judgment

HIPAA is tricky. I've read over and over and still don't get it. It is a good way to put you to sleep, though.

From what I read in here, I would approach it by DVing the CA. In turn, I would contact the OC and ask for a PFD. Likely, due to HIPAA, the OC did not sell the debt and they still have the power to retract the debt and get the CA off the CR.
Message 2 of 11
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I have a friend who had a medical bill go to collections.  She DV'd the CA & due to HIPAA laws, CA's cannot receive ANY specifics on the acct except basics like date & amt.  They couldn't prove what the bill was for...like DR. name, procedure, etc., unlike bank loan, cc bill, etc, which they can prove.

I don't remember all the specifics, but I know the CA had to remove for non validation.

I'd try the DV.  Just my .02

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 06-08-2008 10:50 AM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no CA reporting the collection. It is a judgement from a dentist. Should he make contact with the dentist, and pay this? What should he be asking for? Vacate judgement, release?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were sue in court..and lost...you can't send any kind of paperwork...is it paid???...contact the dentist..and see if he would vacate it...if you PIF...
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

He doesn't remeber being served, but obviously defaulted by not showing in court. What is required for a vacate of judgement. He is willing to pay in full. Thanks.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
He doesn't remeber being served, but obviously defaulted by not showing in court. What is required for a vacate of judgement. He is willing to pay in full. Thanks.

What state is he in? If he wasn't served properly, it could be vacated on the basis of improper serving.

BUT, you would have to prove that he wasn't properly served IF the plaintiff tried to prove he WAS (with altered documents, perhaps). And the definition of "properly served" varies by state.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is in Texas. It's only $135.00. He is ready to pay, just want to make sure he goes the proper route.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
This is in Texas. It's only $135.00. He is ready to pay, just want to make sure he goes the proper route.

According to Texas law, proper serving is defined as:

• Unless the citation or an order of the court otherwise directs, the citation shall be served by any person authorized by Rule 103 by

1. delivering to the defendant, in person, a true copy of the citation with the date of delivery endorsed thereon with a copy of the petition attached thereto, or

2. mailing to the defendant by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, a true copy of the citation with a copy of the petition attached thereto.

• Upon motion supported by affidavit stating the location of the defendant ’s usual place of business or usual place of abode or other place where the defendant can probably be found and stating specifically the facts showing that service has been attempted under either (a)(I) or (a)(2) at the location named in such affidavit but has not been successful, the court may authorize service

(1) by leaving a true cope of the citation, with a copy of the petition attached, with anyone over sixteen years of age at the location specified in such affidavit, or

(2) in any other manner that the affidavit or other evidence before the court shows will be reasonably effective to give the defendant notice of the suit. (Amended Aug. 18, 1947, eff. Dec. 31, 1947; July 22, 1975, eff. Jan. 1, 1976; July 11, 1977, eff. Jan. 1, 1978, June 10, 1980, eff. Jan. 1, 1981; July 15, 1987, eff. Jan. 1, 1988; April 24, 1990, eff. Sept. 1, 1990.)

How DID he get served? Or perhaps the best question is how did he know he'd been sued?

If you can get the judgment vacated on the basis of improper process/serving, he'd be in a position to pay the thing off with the plaintiff (if the plaintiff agrees to NOT go back to court) in exchange for sweeping the mess under the rug.

It'd be a win-win for the plaintiff -- he gets his money (which is all they wanted, anyway) AND doesn't have to go to the trouble of filing again and spending the day in court for a measley $135.

if you can't get it vacated, I don't know ... I don't think the plaintiff will agree to vacate the judgment in exchange for $135 ... it would require filing a motion and I don't think he'd think it was worth his time. After all, if you can't vacate on the grounds of improper serving, he has nothing to lose and $135 to gain regardless.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

He says he was never served, moved around during that time period. Only found out by pulling credit reports and finding a judgement. Would you contact the court to find out how they show he was served?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.