Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical treatment while on vacation

tag
blink182
Established Member

Medical treatment while on vacation

I ruptured an appendix while on vacation in another state and had to have emergency surgery.  This was 4 years ago.

A Collections company just put the debt on my credit report and I am hesitant to ask for VA because I don't want to wake a sleeping giant.

The bill is $4k, and I wouldn't be able to pay in full for delete......so I'm not sure what to do.

My state has a SOL of 4 years, but the state I incurred the hospitalization is 6 years.

I did  a quick check and the collections account is licensed in my state to collect a debt.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Medical treatment while on vacation

@blink182 wrote:

I ruptured an appendix while on vacation in another state and had to have emergency surgery.  This was 4 years ago.

A Collections company just put the debt on my credit report and I am hesitant to ask for VA because I don't want to wake a sleeping giant.

The bill is $4k, and I wouldn't be able to pay in full for delete......so I'm not sure what to do.

My state has a SOL of 4 years, but the state I incurred the hospitalization is 6 years.

I did  a quick check and the collections account is licensed in my state to collect a debt.

Any advice?

I guess this is growing up.. dun dundun dun dun...

ugh.. sorry; I had to do that based on the screen name. I sincerely apologize to the community at large who had to read that.. ha

Anyway: what collection company is it with?

I mean, realstically, if there is any chance you could be sued you want to avoid a judgement at all costs... I understand 4k is a lot of money that most of us don't have,  so if a PFD in full request is out.. what about maybe getting on an affordable payment plan and then attempting a GW letter after it is paid down?

Or maybe contacting the OC and see if maybe you can get on a payment plan directly with them, try to play on their sympathies and see if they can recall the listing? 

This is a doozy, but outside of waiting it out until it falls off, I don't forsee many options for you; and even after it falls off, it is still outstanding debt..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@blink182 wrote:

Any advice?

Did you not have insurance?  What do you mean ask for VA?

Have you tried getting financial assistance from the hospital?

The SOL goes by the state you currently reside in, not where it happened.

Message 3 of 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@blink182 wrote:

Any advice?

Did you not have insurance?  What do you mean ask for VA?

Have you tried getting financial assistance from the hospital?

The SOL goes by the state you currently reside in, not where it happened.

VA I took as validation (based on the 'waking a giant' comment) but I supposed clarification is needed haha

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes.  I thought maybe he/she was a veteran and was going to ask the VA for help.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.