Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau & old bill from 2000

tag
severine
Contributor

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau & old bill from 2000

I've been in the process of rebuilding my credit for the past two years and my credit is currently the best it's ever been. About a year ago I started getting harassing phone calls from Mercantile Adjustment Bureau asking me to pay a utility bill from when I was a student back in 2000. I never responded to their DAILY messages, but now a year later they have started up again calling me. My question is this: can a bill from almost 14 years ago show up on my CR? Does it seem likely that they will report this, wouldn't they have done this by now if they were going to do so? Any advice you might have would be great! Thanks!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Mercantile Adjustment Bureau & old bill from 2000

No, if the debt is that old it cannot be reported on your CR.

They can attempt to collect forever.  If the debt is outside of your states suing SOL and you want to pay it, offer a settlement.   You can also write them and ask tell them to only communicate with you in writing.

Message 2 of 3
severine
Contributor

Re: Mercantile Adjustment Bureau & old bill from 2000

Thanks for your help!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.