Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau

Does anyone know anything about Mercantile Adjustment Bureau?  They did a hard pull on my TU on November 4.  From what I can figure out, they are a CA in NY.  I have not received any dunning letters from them, so I have no idea what they are trying to collect and I am obviously not too happy with the unauthorized hard pull.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Mercantile Adjustment Bureau

One thing that is kinda invisible to you now is who they are.  But when a debt collector is assigned or sold a debt for collection, they have no responsibility under the FDCPA to notify you of their authority until they make an initial communication with you, or post an collection account to the CRA.    FDCPA 809(a).

Once they make "initial communication" with you,  they are required to send you,within 5-days of that initial communication with you, a formal collection (dunning) notice, identifying the OC, the amount of the debt, and your DV rights.

If they have been assigned collection, or have been sold the debt, then,in my opinion, their credit inquiry was permissible under FCRA 604(a)(3)(A) and FCRA 604(a)(F) without your prior approval.

Message 2 of 5
daasax

I have a hit on my TU credit report from them as well.  I filed BK13 in 2009 and should have no debt for them to be collecting.

Message 3 of 5
Loretin

Hi RobertEG

What resource do I have if they have not sent anything in writing and more than a week has passed?

Message 4 of 5
daasax

ditto Loretin

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.