Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michigan State tax lien released

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Michigan State tax lien released

We had a state tax lien placed on our property in Dec. 2015 and we have been in a payment plan to take care of it.  We will be done paying on it in October this year.  Today in the mail I received a letter an a "Notice of release of state tax lien".  The letter states that that the release has been sent to the county register and or secretary of state for filing.  It says the lien is officially released and that once it's "recorded" that I can request an official copy to provide to the CRA's  so that they can update the status of my lien to released.  It states the Michigan Department of Treasury does not report to the CRA's. 

I was THRILLED to say the least and I must have read it 10 times to make sure I understood it. LOL I'm happy, but also confused.  When I entered into the payment pln I was told that once the taxes were paid in full that it would be released.  Why would they release it when I still owe $1200? Would a state ever release a lien early?  Or could this have something to do with that new regulation that some people will have liens removed?  In any event I wont question them.  I'm not holding my breathe, but curious if it will be removed.  Regardless I know a released lien has to look better than an open unpaid lien on a CRA.

Any ideas??? Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Michigan State tax lien released

@Anonymous

I moved your post here to see if you can some responses.  Good luck and congrats on getting it released.

Message 2 of 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Michigan State tax lien released

The new reporting guidelines aren't a law and don't affect a person owing a lien. I would call the tax office to confirm the release and that you are finished with the payment plan. If you had more than one lien, they will release them one at a time as they are paid off.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.