Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland Collection Trouble

tag
mato01
Regular Contributor

Midland Collection Trouble

So, I inadvertently picked up a call from Midland Collections this morning. The guy on the phone wanted to know what I wanted to do about $353.00 Barclay account. While I've been cleaning up my credit lately (which is probably why they came out the forest), I thought I just lay this one aside because the OC and the CC were scheduled to be removed by 3/2015. I planned on paying but wanted to get the other more recent ones paid first. On top of being very rude he insisted that I spoke to them in February (not true) and that I made a payment on the account in 2012 (not true). He kept saying how do you want to handle. So I said I don't know what you're referring to and send me something in the mail. He then said what's the last 4 of your SSN. I don't give out personal information. Then he got mad and said not sending you anything else, you've been sent 4 letters, how do you want to proceed.

How should I proceed? I will not have the money to pay on this account for a few months, but I hate for them to do any more damage to  my credit report. They are currently reporting on all three credit bureau. I've managed to increase my scores by 100 points since March, and don't want this to be a real setback. Note: Since my credit rebuilding they have started reporting every month and soft and hard pulling my credit reports. I got so frustrated with the guy, after I denied everything that I finally just said this conversation is over. Goodbye.

Hope I haven't set myself back by picking up the phone. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the Garden until 6/1/2016
Mar 2014: All Scores in the 520 range.
FEB 2016: myFICO: EQ 660, TU 682 EX 681
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: Midland Collection Trouble

It it outside of SOL? Do not.give any information. Also try to record a conversation. File a complaint with BBB and CFPB. This should help
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 2 of 9
mato01
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info. During my process I have increased my scores about 100 points across the board. Don't want any setbacks.

Message 3 of 9
eric19k
Established Contributor

Well, damage is already done. So I don't see any problem except you will have to deal with nasty people. Thats all
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hang up on collectors, stay off the phone...  If they are reporting it monthly they cannot report a payment history if they are just file a CFPB complaint on them. The CA can only remain on file for as long as the OC can they have to operate from the OCs DoFD as well. If they are constantly HPing your CR report that to the CFPB too, one or two is normally acceptable as they have PP, no one cares how many times they do SPs as you are the only one that will ever see them. HPing constantly is called poisoning your CRs. They are reporting it monthly to keep your score depressed in an attempt to keep you from obtaining new credit. I would not pay these people a dime so close to the removal date and just send them a FOAD as long as its past states SOL. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
mato01
Regular Contributor

What is a FOAD?

Message 6 of 9
eric19k
Established Contributor

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.O.A.D.

It is direct dispute
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@eric19k wrote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.O.A.D.

It is direct dispute

Actually its a glorified Cease & Desist letter that gets sent to CAs & JDBs only, never to an OC.

Message 8 of 9
eric19k
Established Contributor

8( sorry Gdale. Shame on me
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.