cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland Credit Management CONFUSION....UPDATE!!!!!!! DELETED!!!!!!

tag
kdeason

Midland Credit Management CONFUSION....UPDATE!!!!!!! DELETED!!!!!!

Let me start by saying, that 99% of the time I deal with folks in writing.  However, I was in a "hurry" to clear up a few bad things on my credit report in hopes to obtain a mortgage.  In retrospect, I wish I would have immediately sent Midland a DV letter because I don't even think this debt is legit.  And sorry if this is long, I just want to get in all the juicy details!  TIA!

In April I noticed that I had a collection on my credit reports from Midland in the amount of $742.00.  When I called to speak with them, a foreign guy named "John" quickly informed me that my account had been turned over to Singletary & Thrash (a local attorney's office in my city) and that I would need to contact them and he gave me the number.  He stated that he could not speak to me regarding the account since it had been sent to them and hung up the phone.  I again tried to call Midland back, and the same guy answered.  He asked my social security number and I gave it to him.  He then said "What do you want now?  I will not talk to you." and hung up again before I could even get a word in.  So, I called and talked to a lady at Singletary & Thrash and she said that they did just receive the account that day.  She stated that they were collecting for $854.00.  I asked her if Midland would settle for less and she stated that she could try.  I asked her if they would settle for $400 and she put me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back and said "yes".  She then stated that if $400 was paid, the account would be considered PIF, balance show as $0.00, and the account would be closed.  I did decide to pay it.  After the funds had cleared my checking account, she sent me a letter from the attorney's office (with the attorney's signature) that states "The account referenced below is settled in full as of April 19, 2010.  If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact our office......"  It then lists the creditor as Midland Funding LLC and the account number and says the balance is $0.00.  I contacted Midland again that day and the same "John" answers the phone and gives me Singletary's number.  I inform him that the debt has been paid and Midland needs to report my balance as $0.00.  He states that after it is paid it can take up to 60 days.  Singletary said I could send the letter they sent me to the credit bureaus and they would probably move faster.  I sent the letter to all credit bureaus last week CMRRR.  I received an email notification from Equifax this morning stating that the account had been updated and shows the following... High Credit is $742.  Balance amount: $454.  Amount past due: $454.  DOFD: 11/07.  There is no DOLA.  Date Major Deliquency First Reported: 11/09. Type of Account - Open. 

Where do I go from here?  Is this legal?  Is this company legitimate?  I don't know what to do at this point!  Is it too late to DV the company?  I never admitted the debt was mine, but paid in order to have a zero balance and hopefully get it deleted because I was DESPERATE!!  And I made sure that was known to Midland and Singletary & Thrash.  Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Thanks again,

Kristen

UPDATE!!  WILL BE DELETED FROM CREDIT REPORTS!!  Here's how...I got the email address from someone on here to two people at MCM.  I emailed a "nice" letter that basically said what this post said.  I also included that this issue needed to be resolved today or I would contact an attorney on Monday.  I received a call from a nice lady that first gave me the run-around...I then asked her if she'd delete it and reminded her that I took care of it as soon as I found out about it.  She said it would be deleted and she was about to submit it!! WOOHOO!! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Midland Credit Management CONFUSION

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The only way it would not be a legit settlement is if the attorney did not have the authority to act on MCM's behalf.  And since they had the account in their office, I find that hard to believe.

Have you spoken to the attorney about it yet?

I would write a letter to MCM and include a copy of the letter from the attorney.  Ask them to please update the account to show PIF as the letter stated it would be.  Also let them know that you will have no problem bringing suit against them if they do not report correctly.

File complaints with the BBB, your state AG and the FTC.

Message 2 of 3
Flmom

Re: Midland Credit Management CONFUSION....UPDATE!!!!!!! DELETED!!!!!!

Midland is trying to collect an old cc debt that I settled in 2008. Every time I call them I hit a brick wall and all of my DVD letters have been ignored. They've also verified with all the credit bureaus when I disputed. Now it's holding up the underwriting on my mortgage. I really need to get it resolved. Do you still have the email address you used to contact them? Thank you.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.