Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland Credit Management Question

tag
WiserThenEver
Established Member

Midland Credit Management Question

Hello,

I have 3 MCM accounts that are reporting on my credit reports. 2 of them are charged off BofA credit cards and one is from Citibank. The 2 BofA are going to pass the SOL in a few weeks. Does this give me any leverage to PFD. Should I try to do a PFD for 20% of the balance?

Also for the Citibank one, it was an old shell gas card I believe. The thing is,  I do not have a Citibank tradeline showing at all on my CR, unlike my 2 BofA which shows charged off. I know I did use to have a Shell gas card though. Should I try to dispute it with the CA and Credit Report? I know it hasn't been 7 years, so the Citibank tradeline shouldn't have fallen off. The status of the Citibank MCM is scheduled to fall off in 12/14. So can I also assume this is pass the SOL.

I am in California btw. Thanks for any suggestion/comments.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
WiserThenEver
Established Member

Re: Midland Credit Management Question

any tips?

Message 2 of 4
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

The first thing I would tell you is to NOT rock the boat until you are 100% sure you are past the SOL and then wait a month after the date you are sure. OOS debt (out of statute) debt is generally not handled by primary CAs because they lack any real leverage to collect since they can't file suit or get a default judgment. Typically OOS debt is resold to those companies that work this kind of debt (think LVNV as an example).

The good news is each time debt is sold it becomes cheaper to the buyer with OOS going for the least, maybe 1% of face value which gives YOU leverage in a discounted PFD offer. The debt does not go away just because its past SOL. Frankly companies like LVNV will do as many nasty things to your credit report as possible to get your attention, but if you want to settle wait another month or two and see who continues to own the account. I've never dealt directly with Midland, but I hear they are on the same level as LVNV. If its still Midland, no problem, just be sure to mention the fact the account is time barred in your PFD letter and it should help you settle the account.

As far as the Shell card you can DV that first just so you know its yours, then roll it into your PFD offer.  Just remember that while you want to ethically settle those debts that are yours, the OC has already written the debts off as a charge off and the CA/JDB did not pay close to the face value for the debt. With OOS debt you have the advantage in settlement talks as long as you don't mind the "games" the CA/JDB will try to play with your credit report.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

As for the additional question of first disputing the collection, do you have a basis for assertion of any inaccuracy in their reporting?

Disputes for the purpose of simply "seeing what happens" without assertion of an actual inaccuracy are not advised, and can be dismissed without investigation.

Additionally, if you intend on following the PFD route, inherent in any PFD request is their good-will acceptance.  Filing a dispute without supportable basis is not apt to put them into a mood of good-will.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.