cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland Funding sued me - now bench warrant?

tag
gregcurryesq
Established Member

Re: Midland Funding sued me - now bench warrant?

@guiness56 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

I dont think the threat of a bench warrant is based on payment of the debt, but rather on failure to appear persuant to the court order.

In Ark and WA it is for not paying the debt which they say is contempt.  I live in one of those states and lived in the other for 20 years.

Interesting. And scary.

Long Island, NY. **The views expressed by me on this site are my opinions only, are not intended to constitute legal advice, should not be relied on as legal advice, and are not intended to create any attorney-client relationship.**
Message 11 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@gregcurryesq wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

I dont think the threat of a bench warrant is based on payment of the debt, but rather on failure to appear persuant to the court order.

In Ark and WA it is for not paying the debt which they say is contempt.  I live in one of those states and lived in the other for 20 years.

Interesting. And scary.

Yes it is.  Here is the list of states:

there are six states — Arkansas, Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Washington State — that allow debt collectors to seek arrest warrants for debtors in default if all other collection methods have failed.

The reason I even looked into was because my local electric company notifies the PD if you are late on your bill.  I was curious as I know there is no longer a debtors prison.  But, for these states, one in which I now live, it is very possible to be arrested for owing a debt. 

Message 12 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@chasmith wrote:

When a creditor has a judgement, they can ask the court to summon you for a "disclosure hearing" or "debtor examination".  At that hearing the judge may order the debtor to turn over specified assets, possibly the judge may also order a payment plan.

People get arrested for ignoring the subpoena for the hearing, or for failing to do what the judge orders.  There is no arrest for just having a judgement against you.

If the judgement is in another state, you need to respond to any hearing subpoena based on lack of jurisdiction of the foreign court.

A judgment from another state CANNOT be collected on in the state you currently reside unless it has been domesticated. 

There is an arrest, in 6 states,  just for having unpaid debt.  

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.