Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland Funding trying to collect on a charged off cell phone account

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Midland Funding trying to collect on a charged off cell phone account

@mtrsprt wrote:

Is this actually your debt or not?  Point is, if it is, just pay them and let it ride.  If it is your debt, this whole situation is self inflicted.

That isn't very helpful.

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all, well just about all of you, for your help. I will send the dispute letters to the CA, the OC and the CRA. Hopefully, this can be resolved without further actions. I definitely feel a lot easier about the situation and will be back if I need any further advice.

Message 12 of 32
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A word of caution.  You should not dispute with all three at the same time.  It will be a worse cluster of a mess.

Since Verizon is the one stating you owed them money, I would start with the 623(a)(8) dispute to them.  If they find errors etc they are required to fix them, including deletion of erroneous information from your CR.

Message 13 of 32
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@mtrsprt wrote:

Is this actually your debt or not?  Point is, if it is, just pay them and let it ride.  If it is your debt, this whole situation is self inflicted.

I guess I self inflicted quite a bit in the past.  That's why I came here in the first place.  The facts that led to this are unknown to me, but it's not the past we are concerned about, it's the present and the future.  

Paying the debt will not make it any better.  I do agree with paying it, but if you can pay and better your position and your financial health, well I'm all for that too.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 14 of 32
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@mtrsprt wrote:

I guess I self inflicted quite a bit in the past.  That's why I came here in the first place.  The facts that led to this are unknown to me, but it's not the past we are concerned about, it's the present and the future.  

Paying the debt will not make it any better.  I do agree with paying it, but if you can pay and better your position and your financial health, well I'm all for that too.

Correct.....  The point I am making, is that if she (BY ANY MEANS) created the original debt in the first place, then instead of trying to deviate laws around not having to pay it, I would more suggest to pay the debt if in fact it was actually legit.   Especially if the debt is a minute amount that was probably neglected because of self choice.

I paid all my old debt/charge-offs etc.  It made everything better.  Manual reviews of my report looked much better, and old debt/charge-off balances went from 25,000.00 to $3000.00.  My score also increased 60-75 points in that 5 month period of settling with collection agencies/attorneys etc.......

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 32
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@mtrsprt wrote:

That isn't very helpful.

In a abrupt kind of way, it sure is........Learning from mistakes/poor choices, is just as important as learning how to try to avoid the consequences of them...................

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 32
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@mtrsprt wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@mtrsprt wrote:

That isn't very helpful.

In a abrupt kind of way, it sure is........Learning from mistakes/poor choices, is just as important as learning how to try to avoid the consequences of them...................

This is a place for help and guidance.  Most posters already feel bad enough about their current situation without negative comments.  Since we don't know what happened in their past no judgment should be made.  Most have learned from thieir mistakes/poor choices or they wouldn't have come here.

This is not the school of tough love for rebuilding credit.

Just my opinion that, whether you think it helps or not, those kind of comments, though few that they are, could keep someone from getting the help they want/need.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

@mtrsprt wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@mtrsprt wrote:

That isn't very helpful.

This is a place for help and guidance.  Most posters already feel bad enough about their current situation without negative comments.  Since we don't know what happened in their past no judgment should be made.  Most have learned from thieir mistakes/poor choices or they wouldn't have come here.

This is not the school of tough love for rebuilding credit.

Just my opinion that, whether you think it helps or not, those kind of comments, though few that they are, could keep someone from getting the help they want/need.

As someone new to the forums, I must agree with guiness56 here - I was REALLY taken aback by the harsh judgment from mtrsprt and was immediately scared that this was the prevalent mindset of the forum and that I wouldn't be able to get any help here.  I am glad to hear from those that responded to mtrsprt that this isn't the norm.  

mtrsprt - if you think those of us with credit problems aren't beating ourselves up (very badly) about them, even when they're due to causes outside of our control, you are sorely mistaken.  The people who come on these forums are looking to FIX their lives and get a fresh start, not be beaten up even further by rude comments from strangers.  Words have a lot of power - be careful how you use yours

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all. I am back for more help. I sent the DV letter to Midland and they have yet to validate the debt. In response they sent a letter asking for my attorney's information and the other letter says that they have contacted the 3 credit bureaus to have any reference to them deleted since they do not have the proper information to send to the agencies. I would like to know if I should send another letter to them informing them that they have not validated the debt. I do not want to provide them with my attorney's information if I do not need to. I feel like they are trying to buy time since they know they are not able to validate this alleged debt.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you again.

Message 19 of 32
starry1
Valued Contributor

No, they're deleting.  Take the win.  Though some other debt collector is bund to show up.  Have you contacted T-Mobile to see if you can pay them directly?  

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.