Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland GW Success?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland GW Success?

Hello all,

I'm new to the boards and already I can see that Midland is a huge mountain to climb! 

They bought my $984 debt for a credit card that was charged off by HSBC in 2009. I'm trying desperately to clean things up by August in the hopes of getting a mortgage. I called Midland yesterday, hoping to try and do a PFD (even though I didn't think from reading the boards that I'd have much luck!) They told me they couldn't accept payment at all as it had already gone to Dominion Law (and I called back 3 times and spoke with 3 different Midland reps to make sure they weren't just stringing me along..) So I called Dominion and, to make a long story short, they refused PFD, I panicked at the thought of waiting months for them to maybe agree, and I paid the amount in full. I'm not sure of the relationship of Dominion to Midland -- Dominion isn't reporting, but Midland (and HSBC as the OC) is. Equifax is also reporting the same HSBC debt from Cavalry, even though it looks like they passed it off to Midland. 

Any suggestions on what I might be able to do now, or should I accept that I'm out of luck? Should I 1) wait for Dominion to report to Midland to report to the CRAs on their own? 2) Dispute with the CRAs directly saying it should be marked as paid? 3) Write a GW directly to Midland, or Midland plus HSBC plus Cavalry? 

Does anyone have contact information for trying for a GW from Midland and/or HSBC? And can Cavalry stay on my report too even though it looks like they only had the debt for a month? 

THANK YOU!!!!!! I am learning so much from you all Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
m29
Regular Contributor

Re: Midland GW Success?

HI, I too had very recent dealings with Midland! It is likely that Dominion will not even report to the CRA (in my case when Midland hired someone else to try and collect it, that company did not report) So I would wait to see on that one, then if they do report send a GW!

Midland is notorious for waiting 30-45 days to report a paid status, so give it time before you decide to do a dispute!

I would send GW letters to HSBC and Cavalry! Also send GW letters to Midland! It is possible to get them to remove (they are usually more likely to do a GW than a PFD), there have been success stories on here! There is a contact that I have for Midland for sending GW letters that has worked for many others, I will PM you the contact!! 

Good Luck, they are a BEAST to deal with, but don't give up!!

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
DM6410
Regular Contributor

Hi m29, I have 2 PIF accts with Midland from Aspire Visa & Tribute MC that I was trying to have deleted from my acct. I was going to go the route of FTC Court ruling but they are giving me a hassel. Would you be able to pm me with Midland GW info for assistance? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

As far as my credit goes, I am a work in progress...
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland is one tough cookie, I will say that!

First thing to do is DISPUTE the Cavalry collection account on your reports. If they no longer own the debt, then they can't verify it. Do this by mail giving the explanation that Cavalry no longer has this debt. It should be deleted within a few weeks.

Now, is Midland saying they don't own the account? If so, then DISPUTE that one as well with the same explanation.

If Dominion isn't reporting, hopefully you lucked out and they will not report since you paid it. Smiley Happy Let's hope for that!

DO NOT WAIT for these scums to report anything. I had several collection accounts that these scums were reporting but they didn't own any longer. Once I disputed, the collection accounts were deleted.

As for HSBC, I can't help there. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my orginal creditor charge-offs removed Smiley Happy

Hope this help! Good luck Smiley Happy

IF they come back verified, then request a method of verification from the CRAs.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to the boards and already I can see that Midland is a huge mountain to climb! 

They bought my $984 debt for a credit card that was charged off by HSBC in 2009. I'm trying desperately to clean things up by August in the hopes of getting a mortgage. I called Midland yesterday, hoping to try and do a PFD (even though I didn't think from reading the boards that I'd have much luck!) They told me they couldn't accept payment at all as it had already gone to Dominion Law (and I called back 3 times and spoke with 3 different Midland reps to make sure they weren't just stringing me along..) So I called Dominion and, to make a long story short, they refused PFD, I panicked at the thought of waiting months for them to maybe agree, and I paid the amount in full. I'm not sure of the relationship of Dominion to Midland -- Dominion isn't reporting, but Midland (and HSBC as the OC) is. Equifax is also reporting the same HSBC debt from Cavalry, even though it looks like they passed it off to Midland. 

Any suggestions on what I might be able to do now, or should I accept that I'm out of luck? Should I 1) wait for Dominion to report to Midland to report to the CRAs on their own? 2) Dispute with the CRAs directly saying it should be marked as paid? 3) Write a GW directly to Midland, or Midland plus HSBC plus Cavalry? 

Does anyone have contact information for trying for a GW from Midland and/or HSBC? And can Cavalry stay on my report too even though it looks like they only had the debt for a month? 

THANK YOU!!!!!! I am learning so much from you all Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU so much for the helpful advice! Smiley Happy

I still would like to understand two things:

What is the difference between disputing directly with Midland/Cavalry and disputing with the CRAs? Let's say I filed an online CRA dispute about the Cavalry reporting (which is only reporting on TU). Would that be quicker/slower better/worse than mailing a letter to Cavalry, and if I'm successful, waiting for them to update TU? (I'm asking especially because I had luck last week with a Cap One GW -- got a letter from them saying they would be correcting inaccurately reported late payments with the CRAs, but haven't seen any deletions on the reports yet!)

Also, what does it mean when an original debt gets passed on to three different CAs, one after the other? (In this case, it looks like Cavalry, then Midland, then Dominion Law.) Since I paid Dominion, does that mean Cavalry and Midland HAVE to remove it, or are they entitled to keep it on because they *once* had the debt? 

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Settling in for the long fight LOL

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

THANK YOU so much for the helpful advice! Smiley Happy

I still would like to understand two things:

What is the difference between disputing directly with Midland/Cavalry and disputing with the CRAs? Let's say I filed an online CRA dispute about the Cavalry reporting (which is only reporting on TU). Would that be quicker/slower better/worse than mailing a letter to Cavalry, and if I'm successful, waiting for them to update TU? (I'm asking especially because I had luck last week with a Cap One GW -- got a letter from them saying they would be correcting inaccurately reported late payments with the CRAs, but haven't seen any deletions on the reports yet!) Do NOT file an online dispute, ever! I would MAIL a dispute letter to TU, indicating that you are no longer liable for this debt. In my experience, TU is pretty quick with these things. You could also send a DV letter to Cavalry at the same time. If they don't have the account, they can't verify or validate it. I find it quicker to go dispute through the CRAs when I know that the information can't be verified. The CAs can't be reporting that you owe them money if they can't show the proof.

Also, what does it mean when an original debt gets passed on to three different CAs, one after the other? (In this case, it looks like Cavalry, then Midland, then Dominion Law.) Since I paid Dominion, does that mean Cavalry and Midland HAVE to iremove it, or are they entitled to keep it on because they *once* had the debt? Ugh, if that was the case, my credit report would be two miles long! LOL It is my understanding and experience, someone correct me if I am wrong, that if the CA doesn't hold the account any longer, it needs to be removed. HOWEVER, some CAs "forget" or don't update so it's not removed. I got three collection accounts removed because the scum bags didn't own them anymore, so I disputed and they were gone quick.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Settling in for the long fight LOL

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
m29
Regular Contributor

A CA does not have to remove the accurate reporting, because at the time they reported it was accurate and they had the right to collect on the debt, even if it has since been sold to another CA! But if it has been paid they have to report a zero balance!

Sometimes, not always if you send a DV letter they can't verify it, but sometimes they can and it will just be verified and updated!

OC can still report a CO even after it is sold, it just has to have a zero balance reported, because they have charged it off as a loss, but a collection agency can still report on that account with a balance owed!

I honestly don't think you have grounds for a dispute! What you are trying to dispute would be accurate reporting from the CA? So that is why I steered you towards GW letters!

If I am wrong on any of this information I hope that someone will chime in!!!!!! Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess with each person, each situation is different. I disputed the CAs that no longer owned the account and they disappeared (some within days). In my experience, usually initiating a dispute for verification prompted the CAs to delete because they no longer had the account or any information on the account. I had four collection accounts removed using this method. The CAs that owned the account took longer and more strategy.

I received notice from each CA after my disputes that the account was sold to XXX on XXX date and they instructed the CRAs to delete the account.

So it's truly a YMMV issue.

Message 8 of 12
m29
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess with each person, each situation is different. I disputed the CAs that no longer owned the account and they disappeared (some within days). In my experience, usually initiating a dispute for verification prompted the CAs to delete because they no longer had the account or any information on the account. I had four collection accounts removed using this method. The CAs that owned the account took longer and more strategy.

I received notice from each CA after my disputes that the account was sold to XXX on XXX date and they instructed the CRAs to delete the account.

So it's truly a YMMV issue.

I think that is great for you!! I wish I had that luck with some of mine!!Smiley Happy  I had a Verizon CO (never reported on to the CRA's) the debt was sold to Midland and then Midland sold to  RPM . I sent a DV to Midland and they verified and updated the account! I finally made payment to RPM and they never reported, thank goodness!! The only way that I was able to get Midland deleted was because I live in NYS and there is a 5 year statute that says any PAID CO or Collection accounts can not report after 5 years, and my five years was up!

ETA: OP If any of the CA are reporting A balance after 30 days of it being paid THEN I would dispute with the CRA that it is not being reported correctly! But  IMHO I would sent out GW !!

Message 9 of 12
cracksmeup
Regular Contributor

I know this post is 2 months old but could you please PM me the contact info for the Midland GW.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.