Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland annoyance

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Midland annoyance

Greetings team!

So; my wife, who has had ZERO credit problems in the history of ever, has been getting about 5 calls from Midland every day since the end of last week.. She hasn't been picking them up, we just Googled the number..

I pulled all three of her reports, and just as I suspected, ZERO credit problems. All reports clean, no weird inquiries.

My credit, while not perfectly clean, has been rehabbed with the help of all you fine folks here at the forum. No new collections since 2009, all paid or since dealt with. I also have no new collections reporting; nor do I have any weird inquiries..

Now, there IS always the possibility of a stone left unturned from my past, as you see from my signature I had quite a bit of debt and collection issues.

So question is two fold:

1. Since we are newly married, is it possible on a joint application her number got dumped into a zombie database for me?
  2. And if not, are they allowed to pester my wife for my collection debt (if this is from my past)?

This marriage thing is new to me, so I am unsure on what it means for debt collectors ect ect

thanks!

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

Re: Midland annoyance

@rckstrscott wrote:
  1. Since we are newly married, is it possible on a joint application her number got dumped into a zombie database for me?
  2. And if not, are they allowed to pester my wife for my collection debt (if this is from my past)?

Which state do you live in? Check the AG's site about how often and when a collection agency can contact you. I know here in WA that you are only allowed to be contacted by them 3 times a week, and only one fo those is allowed to be at work, and you cannot be called between 9pm and 8am. Five times a DAY seems very extreme, at least in my mind. You shouldn't be hassled like that. In fact, that may be something to write a letter to them about, or contact your AG. Pretty sure that if they are calling more often than they are allowed, they are violating your consumer rights. Also, there is something about their first contact with you requiring givng their name, address, and the name of the OC.

Do you happen to live in a community property state? I don't believe that they can join your old debt into the joint files/applications done within your marriage, but it can happen by accident, I'm sure.

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you are in a community property state, and even with that there are a few exceptions, then this does not stem from your past.  Seems like she has some from her past.  Or it could even be that she was a contact or skip trace contact for someone else.  Hard to tell without you talking to them.

If they are calling, then there should be a dunning notice tied to this somewhere if it was hers and not just a contact person.

Edited to include that last part about the contact person.

Shogun

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Unless you are in a community property state, and even with that there are a few exceptions, then this does not stem from your past.  Seems like she has some from her past.  Or it could even be that she was a contact or skip trace contact for someone else.  Hard to tell without you talking to them.

If they are calling, then there should be a dunning notice tied to this somewhere if it was hers and not just a contact person.

Edited to include that last part about the contact person.

Shogun

Yeah; no dunning yet so we'll see..

They haven't called back today yet; I told her if they do to pick it up -- Did some recent googling and it looks like there is an onslaught of recent 'spitballs' that Midland has been throwing out there... 

Just confusing, she has had the same number for 14 years and I find it highly unlikely she has any debt out there.. I was just bouncing ideas around..

Thanks as always Shogun, I am a bit rusty!!

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 5
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I wanted to say that I've read a lot of your old posts, and they've been very helpful. We have a lot of the same CAs. Also, if you have any hints on how to get Armor Systems to delete a collection, please PM me. Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.