Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland settlement offer

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Midland settlement offer

How odd is it that I restarted trying to clean up my husbands credit again a couple weeks ago, he has an account with midland for verizon wireless that is due to fall off his CR 3/2014, and we got a settlement letter from them today. We haven't heard from them in years! Anyways, the settlement is for $322 on a $806 dollar balance. They want payment by 4/15, well we don't have $322 right now to pay them, plus my husband has a credit protection assoc. collection for a brighthouse cable bill for $251 that is still within SOL until August. So that will be paid before anything else. What are the chances if we call Midland, act like we never got this letter, and ask for settlement they will still give us one? I also want them to remove this obviously, and I don't see why they would give us a hard time about removing it early since its supposed to fall off in a year anyway, by the time we actually pay it, it will be due to fall off in 9ish months. This is actually my husbands dads, they have the same name and lived at the same address the time this was opened, but we're thinking his mom opened this in my husbands name, because there was also a directv acct opened under my husbands social when we lived wth them. But his dads cap one card, auto loan and other things have been on his CR before so i'm not sure. We're very close to qualifying for a USDA loan so we're just wanting the last 2 collections gone. Anyone have luck with PFD or GW'ing midland? Especially with how close it is to falling off? And what are the chances of them still accepting settlement in around June? This got longer than I meant so if you're still reading, thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Midland settlement offer

It will hurt you more than you think. Most likely they won't offer it again and you ar back to square one with them.

Message 2 of 5
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Well this isn't the first time they've offered this settlement, it's just been like 3 years. We don't have the money to pay it anyway by the 15th. I planned on calling them to try to take care of this in around june, I'll just pretend like we didn't get this letter and hope for the best. Honestly, this sounds bad, but it's falling off in a year, i'm not too worried about it. And it's not even my husbands. The mortgage lady we've been speaking too said we could probably just dispute it right before we apply for the loan and with the grounds for the dispute (that its his dads who has the same name as him) they probably will let that go. You're not supposed to have any collections, but she said we could probably get away with that one by disputing it. I'd rather just pay it and get it taken care of so it doesn't cause us potential problems when we apply for the home loan. It seems like every CA we've dealt with has said the same thing, the settlement is only good for x amt of time, but then you call a yr later and they offer the same if not a better settlement... 

Message 3 of 5
dz04

I got a 55% discount just by demanding to speak with a supervisor.   All of the level 1 reps were "not allowed"  to take anything less than the full balance. 

Message 4 of 5
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Hmmm I've gotten settlement offers before by talking to regular reps, I guess they were regular, it was the ones that answer when I call. But it's also been about 3 years.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.