Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland troubles

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland troubles

My husband and I are trying to clean up our credit, mostly my doing but together we are working on it.

I pulled our credit reports last November. I found both a judgment and a lien on my credit report. My score was 560 at the time. I have since paid the judgment off as well as paying off the lien. The lien has been removed from all three reporting credit bureaus. The judgment removed by the judge as of yesterday. The documentation to be mailed to the credit bureaus as soon as Monday.  My credit score as of this May, 580.

I have since taken out a secured credit card through Capital One and paid off every medical bill listed.

Now comes the settlement offers I am attempting to make.  Most recently with Midland on a Rogers Jewelry account from 2006. In 2010 I received a settlement opportunity in the mail from Midland in the amount of $205.62 on a $342.00 bill.  Off to a shoebox it went with the rest of my bills in 2010.  Nearly four years later, I am trying to get my act together and pay off everying on my credit report from smallest to largest, one at a time.  I called in July to Midland who told me my account was now with Credit Control. On August 20th I called Credit Control and asked if they would accept the settlement offer of 205.62 on what was now a $405 bill from this statement and they said yes.  I said put it in writing, email or mail me a statement and I would then make payment. I called and spoke with same guy yesterday at Credit Control, telling him that I never received such statement.  He said on August 29th my account went back to Midland.  I called Midland, they said my account is now $414 and will not go lower than $264.00 for settlement after I called in and offered $110. Then I shot myself in the foot for telling them of my conversation with Mr Spears last month.  She said so you are offering me $110 when you accepted a $205 settlement with them. She said no, will not go lower than 264.00 and gave me 10monthly payment arrangements. I said I don't have it to pay that with all of my other daily and monthly bills to pay.  Now what??? What can I do?  We want to apply for an FHA loan in January and my husband says to just let it go.  From what I have read on here, Midland can keep us from this. It's only $264.00 but I have bills with Sprint (900) and Verizon (684) a local electric bill (907) and a repossession of (6823) to pay.

I am enrolled in a Homeownership Center locally and I seem to be a burden with my counselor. She doesn't remember me when I email her.  She says she has over 150 clients and is rather busy. 

I am working a third job now bringing home an extra check of  $1,100 / mo on top of my  $1100 biweekly paycheck at my combined primary two jobs.  I am just trying to be an awesome role model to my boys and fulfill my promise to them of giving them a forever home!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Midland troubles

I'm going to move this to the Rebuilding forum for better visibility.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

I can appreciate your situation with Midland because they are no fun to deal with.  Have you thought about DVing the debt, or even asking the original creditor if they would accept your payment, thereby taking the winds out of Midland's sails.  With no debt to collect on they'll just have to go to the curb and kick rocks Smiley Wink

I'm sure others who are more experienced will chime in with suggestions.  

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 3 of 6
aerochick31093
Valued Member

How old is this account? was it in default in 2006?

Message 4 of 6
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I are trying to clean up our credit, mostly my doing but together we are working on it.

I pulled our credit reports last November. I found both a judgment and a lien on my credit report. My score was 560 at the time. I have since paid the judgment off as well as paying off the lien. The lien has been removed from all three reporting credit bureaus. The judgment removed by the judge as of yesterday. The documentation to be mailed to the credit bureaus as soon as Monday.  My credit score as of this May, 580.

I have since taken out a secured credit card through Capital One and paid off every medical bill listed.

Now comes the settlement offers I am attempting to make.  Most recently with Midland on a Rogers Jewelry account from 2006. In 2010 I received a settlement opportunity in the mail from Midland in the amount of $205.62 on a $342.00 bill.  Off to a shoebox it went with the rest of my bills in 2010.  Nearly four years later, I am trying to get my act together and pay off everying on my credit report from smallest to largest, one at a time.  I called in July to Midland who told me my account was now with Credit Control. On August 20th I called Credit Control and asked if they would accept the settlement offer of 205.62 on what was now a $405 bill from this statement and they said yes.  I said put it in writing, email or mail me a statement and I would then make payment. I called and spoke with same guy yesterday at Credit Control, telling him that I never received such statement.  He said on August 29th my account went back to Midland.  I called Midland, they said my account is now $414 and will not go lower than $264.00 for settlement after I called in and offered $110. Then I shot myself in the foot for telling them of my conversation with Mr Spears last month.  She said so you are offering me $110 when you accepted a $205 settlement with them. She said no, will not go lower than 264.00 and gave me 10monthly payment arrangements. I said I don't have it to pay that with all of my other daily and monthly bills to pay.  Now what??? What can I do?  We want to apply for an FHA loan in January and my husband says to just let it go.  From what I have read on here, Midland can keep us from this. It's only $264.00 but I have bills with Sprint (900) and Verizon (684) a local electric bill (907) and a repossession of (6823) to pay.

I am enrolled in a Homeownership Center locally and I seem to be a burden with my counselor. She doesn't remember me when I email her.  She says she has over 150 clients and is rather busy. 

I am working a third job now bringing home an extra check of  $1,100 / mo on top of my  $1100 biweekly paycheck at my combined primary two jobs.  I am just trying to be an awesome role model to my boys and fulfill my promise to them of giving them a forever home!

If this account is from 2006 it may have exceeded the SOL's I'm pretty sure.  Not only that I'd DV the account for the DOFD, as the time limit for it to be on your consumer credit report has been exceeded as well.  Also, if you decide to move forward with the payment I'd only pay $110 (which is still a bit too much for such an aged account).  I'd also dispute the account with the CRA's stating that it has exceeded 7 1/2 years and by law it should be removed.

You need to first set up a plan of attack on your charged off accounts and repo.  I'd personally DV each debt.  Find out the age of each debt to see when they are falling off your consumer credit report.  Good luck on your rebuilding to reach your goal of home ownership.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This debt with Midland

@Zorasmiles wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If this account is from 2006 it may have exceeded the SOL's I'm pretty sure.  Not only that I'd DV the account for the DOFD, as the time limit for it to be on your consumer credit report has been exceeded as well.  Also, if you decide to move forward with the payment I'd only pay $110 (which is still a bit too much for such an aged account).  I'd also dispute the account with the CRA's stating that it has exceeded 7 1/2 years and by law it should be removed.

You need to first set up a plan of attack on your charged off accounts and repo.  I'd personally DV each debt.  Find out the age of each debt to see when they are falling off your consumer credit report.  Good luck on your rebuilding to reach your goal of home ownership.

in particular is scheduled to role off in November '14.  Why is it still adding interest? They are reporting monthly on this to my credit as well.

I don't know what the abbrev. SOL and DVing mean.  It was suggested that I call them back at the end of the month, offering $110 to another person.

My other debts are $6,823.00 repo in 2009

$907.00 electric bill 2010

$900.00 sprint  2008

$1136.00 verizon 2010

So, so far my plan of attack has been smallest to largest on debts.  Another question, pay more off on bills or save money into an account for down payment?  Stupid, I know.  Would like to have 7,000 in savings with tax return included by March.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.