Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed a payment...

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Missed a payment...

Mom was ill, passed away in November.  I somehow missed one credit card payment (30 days), otherwise clean reports for five years.  Immediately corrected it.

How much will this hurt?  Scores in the 710 range.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Missed a payment...

It's going to hurt for sure, a (recent) missed payment will have a big impact on your score, even with otherwise perfect history.

I would try to contact the creditor, explain the situation, and ask them to delete the late payment.  If it's current and has good payment history, they will probably help you, especially if you have good history with them.

Just be honest, tell them what happened, take responsibility for being late, and ask for them to forgive your mistake.

Sometimes, you may have to call more than once in hopes of getting the right person, but persistance usually pays off even if you are declined the first several times!

Good luck!

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimorenow wrote:

It's going to hurt for sure, a (recent) missed payment will have a big impact on your score, even with otherwise perfect history.

I would try to contact the creditor, explain the situation, and ask them to delete the late payment.  If it's current and has good payment history, they will probably help you, especially if you have good history with them.

Just be honest, tell them what happened, take responsibility for being late, and ask for them to forgive your mistake.

Sometimes, you may have to call more than once in hopes of getting the right person, but persistance usually pays off even if you are declined the first several times!

Good luck!

Sorry for your loss.

The 30 day late will have an initial significant score impact. Depending on your files as much as 100 points. After 24 months most say the impact will go away.

Who is the creditor?

Again, depending on your files you may be able to get a goodwill adjustment by stating your honesty.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your mom. 

I agree with the above advice if calling them and explaining the situation. 

Message 4 of 5
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

NFCU.  I'm not going to bother with it.  Lost 30 points for a collection that was 'faux'.  Regained those 30 back when the error was corrected.  will be paying down cc debt by 50% within 60 days.  Everything is looking 'up'. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.