Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mom stole my identity, what to do?

tag
tbattles12

Mom stole my identity, what to do?

Hello All,

I have an all too familiar but rarely reported situation. For the past year, I've been using creditkarma just to keep an eye on things as I try to rebuild my credit. In July of last year I saw a $5700 collection account appear from some place called CCI. I was going through a judgement that I was having a hard time repaying due to a separation, which was around that amount at one point in time. So I just waved it off and didn't think twice about it. Recently, I'd just paid off the judgement and realized that I still had this account on my credit and no idea what it was for. After some digging on google, I found out that this company is a collection agency for utilities. My mother had put the electric bill in my name as a minor and racked up a $5700 bill which went to collections in July. I was told that the only thing that I could do to completely wipe it from my credit file would be to make a police report which would in turn bring up indentity theft charges on my 59 year old mother. My question is, would it be better for me to try and make payments? Try for a PFD? I was hoping to buy a house within the next two years, but that now seems near impossible. All of my own personal baddies have fallen off. I have been considering the police report (I know I'm a terrible person), but probably won't file one.

Thanks for all responses.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Mom stole my identity, what to do?

Filing a police report does not assure that law enforcement will pursue the matter.

Yes, you take your chances that they will, but going after a mom is most likely not high on their investigatory list.

Perhaps you could first get mom to fork over the $$, and then make  a PFD offer to the debt collector, thus both satisfying the debt and removing it from your credit report......

Message 2 of 11
tbattles12

Thanks for your reponse. I just know with my mothers luck, she'd be the exception that they would pursue. I know she doesn't have the money to pay but I think paying it back is the only safe option, thanks.

Message 3 of 11
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@tbattles12 wrote:

Thanks for your reponse. I just know with my mothers luck, she'd be the exception that they would pursue. I know she doesn't have the money to pay but I think paying it back is the only safe option, thanks.

How do you know there aren't other accounts where she's used your SSN?

Opinions will vary but; unless there's a huge jump in income, a police report is the only way to protect your future credit.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
bahbahd
Established Contributor

File the police report. You want it now before more items start popping up all over the place.

Message 5 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@bahbahd wrote:

File the police report. You want it now before more items start popping up all over the place.

^^^Yep.

Message 6 of 11
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I just want to make sure that you typed the correct amount: $5,700 and not $570.  Five thousand dollars in electric bills is unheard of to me.  Most electric companies will shut off the power in only a few months.  Was this residential electric bills or for a family business?  So, granted the collection company can add any fees and interest as allowed by law, but I have a hard time accepting that an electric bill can turn into thousands of dollars in debt.  You might want to check the amount.

In any case, aren't companies who enter into agreements with minors left holding the bag on bad debt?  You might want to check into that as well.  I recall from Business Law classes, that in some cases minors are not liable for bad debts and in other cases they are/can be.  So check into that as well.

Message 7 of 11
Bayswater
New Visitor

Make your mom accountable and file the report.  The same thing happened to me (except my mom was an addict), and I never filed the report.  I regret it.  Adults, even our moms have to be held accountable for their actions.

My two-cents...good-luck as I know this is so difficult emotionally. 

Create a better life for yourself, do not follow in her footsteps!

Starting Score: 681
Current Score: 681
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

That's a difficult call when you get into someone personal stealing your information.   While we do want to forgive and work with our families, we also don't want to be taken advantage of.   I would agree with the member who suggested asking her directly for the money (I doubt this will be successfull).   I'd recommend filing a police report, despite whatever hard feelings may occur.  Unfortunately, your feelings weren't considered when this action occured. 

I wish you the best in this!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 11
Taylor4236
Valued Member

Ummm...forgive me for being stupid, but isn't it the fault of the power company here?  I have never heard of a power utility putting an account in the name of a minor.  You might start there.  Also look into what remedies you might have for something being applied to your credit report before you were even old enough to get credit....right?  The other thing to remember is that if you don't have the money to PFD (or if they won't do it) this will stick with you for 7 years.

Starting Score: 592
Current Score: TU680/EQ695/EX647 (10-1-14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.