cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Ready - Settle Collection or Leave it alone?

tag
Etno
Valued Member

Mortgage Ready - Settle Collection or Leave it alone?

I have two collection accounts (AMEX and a CA). Both refuse to do any kind of PFD or goodwill adjustments, but they are offering me good settlement offers of 25%. I cannot afford to PIF. The accounts are a little over 4 years,SOL in my state is 6 years. I will be applying for a mortgage in the next 6 months. I realize I won't get any help score wise in settling these, but am I also correct in thinking that I won't be able to get a mortgage with outstanding collections? Would it be better to just settle them so a manual review shows that they are at least settled?

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage Ready - Settle Collection or Leave it alone?

@Etno wrote:

I have two collection accounts (AMEX and a CA). Both refuse to do any kind of PFD or goodwill adjustments, but they are offering me good settlement offers of 25%. I cannot afford to PIF. The accounts are a little over 4 years,SOL in my state is 6 years. I will be applying for a mortgage in the next 6 months. I realize I won't get any help score wise in settling these, but am I also correct in thinking that I won't be able to get a mortgage with outstanding collections? Would it be better to just settle them so a manual review shows that they are at least settled?

Thanks!!!

Usually any outstanding negative debt will have to be paid and closed before you can close on a mortgage..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 9
Etno
Valued Member

So my only option would be to just settle these and try to goodwill and have them removed after they have been settled?

Message 3 of 9
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@Etno wrote:

So my only option would be to just settle these and try to goodwill and have them removed after they have been settled?

yup - unless they will take a higher percentage (you said they'd settle for 25%) and delete - but like you said they won't PFD.

If you can't PIF deletion is the only thing that will keep it from saying "settled for less" unless your willing to do a deal where they mark it "paid in full" but thats highly doubtful since that would be asking them to report inaccurate info.

Whats the MAX you can offer - if you can offer 75% then I'd say  you said I could pay 25% and be done with it; i'm willing to give you 75 if you delete the whole thing.

DON'T even HINT your looking at a mortgage to them. They will look at that as leverage. Basically if you play it like "I don't care if its on there, but would rather it not and I'm willing to give you more money" you have 2 legs to stand on. If you say "I'm trying to get a mortgage" they know that them being on your report is leverage against you.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 4 of 9
Etno
Valued Member

Thanks to everyone for your responses so far!

If I can't get it to be marked "paid in full" and I end up settling and it stays on my report, will it re-age and then take 6 years from then, or is it the date of first deliquency? 

Message 5 of 9
RW771
Frequent Contributor

I believe it still goes by the Dofd, even if you make any payments. I think the only thing the time thing applies to is when the clock "re-starts" on the SOL...meaning it extends the time they can legally sue you.

When I was buying my house I had to make sure all collections were paid. I was able to settle real low with some companies and even got some of them to agree to completely remove them off all 3 CR's. They key is persistence, and sometimes you have to go all the way to the top, but it can be done. Even if they don't delete it, showing it paid should suffice, should your lender require all outstanding debts be paid. It wouldn't hurt to ask and see if they could email/fax/mail you something in writing for your records to show the debt has been paid just in case.

Good luck to you! Buying a house is an exciting time Smiley Happy

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 6 of 9
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

My advice from personal experience:

I attempted to pay a CO prior to obtaining an approval letter from the mortgage company and the CO compay added a KD on the month of the settlement - dropped my scores 100 points - had I waited until the mortgage company gave me my approval based on the current scores I'd be buying this month instead of renting again - once the scores are checked they seldon recheck - all you need is the letter that the debt was settled - timing is of the essence - at least for me

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@JohnPTEX wrote:

I attempted to pay a CO prior to obtaining an approval letter from the mortgage company and the CO compay added a KD on the month of the settlement - dropped my scores 100 points - had I waited until the mortgage company gave me my approval based on the current scores I'd be buying this month instead of renting again - once the scores are checked they seldon recheck - all you need is the letter that the debt was settled - timing is of the essence - at least for me

However most mortgage companies won't approve you until you have all open collections in a paid off state no? In that case once you start THINKING about buying a house is when you should be contacting collection agencies and trying to PFD.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 8 of 9
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

@scarrollprint wrote:

@JohnPTEX wrote:

However most mortgage companies won't approve you until you have all open collections in a paid off state no? In that case once you start THINKING about buying a house is when you should be contacting collection agencies and trying to PFD.

Let me rephrase - have them check your scores - they tell you to pay them off - you do and then get preapproval by showing them the letter they were paid without rechecking scores- i guess at least in my situation had I had them run my scores PRIOR to me tryingto pay them off I would have been ok

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.