cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Reporting Problem

tag
bwflorida

Mortgage Reporting Problem

We filed Chap 7 bankruptcy in 2009 but excluded our home and our car. Since 2009, we've continued to make on-time payments on our home and our car, but the payments for the home are not being shown on our credit reports.

1) Filing a dispute was unsuccessful... what steps should we take now to get this problem fixed with the three reporting agencies?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mortgage Reporting Problem

Are the mortgage payments showing on your credit report as late, or not showing up at all? What was the result of the dispute and the reason nothing was changed?

I'd call the lender (if you haven't already), and see if you can resolve it by phone. If they agree that you'r payments aren't late, but won't correct the reporting, then remind them that they're required under the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act to report ACCURATE information, and you can take legal action if they knowingly report false information, or do not fix inaccuracies once they are brought to their attention.

If the phone call doesn't resolve it, you could send a letter to the lender's legal department, certified mail with return receipt, stating the above and giving them a certain number of days to fix it, before you pursue legal action. I'd also send similar letters to the credit reporting agencies, requiring that they investigate and correct the reporting immediately.

If the payments all have been on time, and there isn't some weird quirk with the loan that you're not aware of, then these steps really should fix the problem. Good luck!

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 2 of 4
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I would call or visit my lending agency. Seems their may be a reporting glitch in their system related to the bk.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 4
bwflorida

Thanks for the replies! I called the mortgage company's bankruptcy department and learned that our bankruptcy attorney failed to file a "request for reaffirmation" for our current house. Without that request, the mortgage company has not been reporting our payments to the three credit agencies. I've contacted the attorney, and am hoping he will file that reaffirmation request so the reporting issue can be resolved.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.