Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage lender recommendations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage lender recommendations

Hello all, in the process of moving, I’ve bamde the decision to try and buy instead of rent. I pre qualified for a loan and the only thing keeping me from pre approval is a couple derogatoriea. I am in NJ and the lender suggested I pay off a $850 chargeoff and setttle my $3,200 with portfolio recovery. My concern was the tax hit I would take on settling and if PRA would sell the remaining debt. The lender said they cannot send me a tax form because they are not the original creditor and only bought the original debt. He also said it would be illegal to sell the remaining debt. Advice on this?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage lender recommendations

Your lender is correct.  JDB cannot send you 1099 for the remaining balance.  JDB is different than collection agencies that represent lenders.  If the debt is still within SOL, remember to proceed carefully.  If not, the ball is in your court.  You can definitely settle with PRA.  Be sure to get the agreement in writing with PRA before making any payment.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.