Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage on report after bk ~ need advice please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage on report after bk ~ need advice please

I filed a Chapter 7 years ago. It has dropped off my credit report already. My oldest account is my mortgage, 17 years, which I signed the papers to keep out of the BK. But, since I had filed bk they quit showing it on my credit report.  I was thinking about contacting them to get it put back on because it is currently showing my oldest line as 12 years (aaoa is 7), and I do not have any mortgage credit.  Here's the problem I would like opinions on...

In 2008/2009, I was laid off.  I put in for one of those modifications that everyone was getting... someone somewhere didn't follow through, and I ended up in court fighting a foreclosure.  (although later found out, they couldn't take me to court because of the bk...)  Got it resolved after a billion calls & emails, couple court dates, and lots of crying and yelling, by paying the months that were skipped and the current month, and asked that the loan just be reinstated as it was originally, just forget modifying anything!  It was such a screwed up mess.  Sooooo...  I'm afraid that if I have it put back on my credit report, it will show possibly two to six months of really late payments.

Since I do not have a mortgage on my report, but do have a car loan... I'm wondering if the positives from the longer credit and the mortgage would out weigh the negative of having bad marks since they would be so old, they wouldn't be on there prolly more than a year. ????  Part of me thinks it would be an asset, but part of me thinks I shouldn't stir the pot.  ??????  I could use some thoughts...

I have a good standing car loan, a good standing paid off car loan, and a car loan that was sent to collections and paid off (from the same time period).  The rest are all credit cards.  As far as I can tell I have two negatives that are due to fall off next month, and then I'm clean!!  Smiley Happy   Seven years of no other late payments!!!  But...... *sigh*  I need advice.  I really wanted to apply for a HELOC to pay for my son's college this month, and my scores just aren't climbing like I'd hoped.  I don't want to make it worse. 

At the very least I "HAVE' to be able to get a loc by second semester, and if I can't for this one, I will have to max out cards again and start back at the beginning.   I am just now getting my utilization of all of them total to 50%.  (some high, some low)  Just not sure if it'll give me the boost I need, or kill me. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage on report after bk ~ need advice please

It would help if you could remember the months of the late payments so we could tell exactly when it should roll off.

The longer it has been since a late payment, the less effect it will have on your scores.  Meaning a 30 day late from two years ago takes less from your scores than a 30 day late from this year.  So late payments from 6.5 or 7 years ago should have a small efffect now.

I think the good points will outweigh the bad here.

If your mortgage is now in good shape and was not IIB, I cant understand why it isnt showing on your CRs now.  Is it with a large servicing company?  I am thinking it would be an impossible task to convince them not to report, and now you have to ask to get them to report.

I did get a mortgage modification in 2009 and it is in good standing now and has always reported.  The lates are rolling off one by one each month now so it looks a little better as time goes on.  I had 120 day lates going for awhile.

I think it would be better to have it reported.  I am thinking the fact that it doesnt report on your CRs would not prevent you from getting a Heloc though.

GL

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked it up on Google not long ago, and seems it is pretty normal to have them not included after BK. ?? Had something to do with the fact that you could include it later, maybe. But, I think my time is long over to do that now.

It is with Fifth Third Bank. I do not know for sure which dates, but may be able to track it down through old email search or something. I don't think I have any lates at all after the modification mess-up.

My biggest obsticle as far as I can tell for a HELOC is my score.  I'm a wreck over this credit, and reading this forum like a junkie!!

Thanks so much for helping!! Smiley Happy

*** Found it!!  The forebearance was for September 08 til January 09.  The problems began in December when I couldn't reach my agent. In February I sent the three months payments in and they returned it stating that they filed for foreclosure the end of January. My court was in March and April 09, and FINALLY was able to get through to a supervisor on 4/28/09.  She is the one who went through everything and fixed it.  But, I could have all those months showing as lates.  That'll be eight or nine... *ugh*  I think my subconscience was blocking that out....  Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:  Since my mortgage scores were so low I doubt I'll get the HELOC.... I went ahead and called Fifth Third (nothing to lose at this point).  The CSR actually suggested that the bank I applied at used Credit Karma or something and that's why their mortgage didn't show up.  LOL!!  Yes... I literally LOL!!  Smiley Happy   I said banks really do that?!?

Anyway, when I asked why it wasn't being reported, she said 'yes, it does, you have a loan'.  *sigh*   She flat out did not believe me that it doesn't show up anywhere.  Not here, CK, bank pulls, etc... She says, 'well it'll be updated in four or five days'.  Soooo..... holding on to see what this does......  hoping I hadn't had any lates I've forgotten about in the last seven years. 

I do know the last two years are all on time, because I am able to check the year end statements. 
Please wish me luck everyone!  I'm saying my prayers!!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed a Chapter 7 years ago. It has dropped off my credit report already. My oldest account is my mortgage, 17 years, which I signed the papers to keep out of the BK. But, since I had filed bk they quit showing it on my credit report.  I was thinking about contacting them to get it put back on because it is currently showing my oldest line as 12 years (aaoa is 7), and I do not have any mortgage credit.  Here's the problem I would like opinions on...

In 2008/2009, I was laid off.  I put in for one of those modifications that everyone was getting... someone somewhere didn't follow through, and I ended up in court fighting a foreclosure.  (although later found out, they couldn't take me to court because of the bk...)  Got it resolved after a billion calls & emails, couple court dates, and lots of crying and yelling, by paying the months that were skipped and the current month, and asked that the loan just be reinstated as it was originally, just forget modifying anything!  It was such a screwed up mess.  Sooooo...  I'm afraid that if I have it put back on my credit report, it will show possibly two to six months of really late payments.

Since I do not have a mortgage on my report, but do have a car loan... I'm wondering if the positives from the longer credit and the mortgage would out weigh the negative of having bad marks since they would be so old, they wouldn't be on there prolly more than a year. ????  Part of me thinks it would be an asset, but part of me thinks I shouldn't stir the pot.  ??????  I could use some thoughts...

I have a good standing car loan, a good standing paid off car loan, and a car loan that was sent to collections and paid off (from the same time period).  The rest are all credit cards.  As far as I can tell I have two negatives that are due to fall off next month, and then I'm clean!!  Smiley Happy   Seven years of no other late payments!!!  But...... *sigh*  I need advice.  I really wanted to apply for a HELOC to pay for my son's college this month, and my scores just aren't climbing like I'd hoped.  I don't want to make it worse. 

At the very least I "HAVE' to be able to get a loc by second semester, and if I can't for this one, I will have to max out cards again and start back at the beginning.   I am just now getting my utilization of all of them total to 50%.  (some high, some low)  Just not sure if it'll give me the boost I need, or kill me. 

My understanding is that you cannot LEGALLY keep a debt out of your BK. ALL debts must be included. The Re-affirmnation paperwork does not keep it out of the BK, it is merely an agreement that you will continue make your monthly payments as originally agreed and keep the security, despite the debt having been legally discharged. Thats the reason re-affirmed mortgages are not reported monthly after the BK is discharged. Your mortgage would have been reported as IIB and closed when the BK was discharged (as required by law), and the CRA's routinely remove accounts from your reports ten years after closure. Thats the reason its no longer on your reports.

With the issues involving the attempted modification, I would just suggest leaving it alone. With several potential monthly derogs attached to it, its far more likely to tank your scores than help them.

Negatives almost always outweigh the positives in these cases.

Scorewise you may have better luck addressing your UTI. What are your cards limits and balances and what financial resources do you have available? With the last derog falling off next month lowering your UTI may result in some large score increases over the next few months..

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

**sigh** well... I had already called them before this last reply.  So, there's no going back now, but there's no telling if it will actually show up. 

My utilization is down to 63% from 95 or something%.  I've paid off two of the nine accounts.  One is down to abt 35%.  I've been working my way forward since I found these forums.  I was clueless on a lot of credit issues, and I shouldn't have been.  I didn't know about CLI luv buttons either.  I up'd my limits in June, hoping to again in December.  However, without the HELOC, there will be a lot of charges for school fees and tuition.  I'm looking at about 1K by the end of this month, and probably 1200, early next year.  Car loan is about 1/2 paid. 

My oldest account is 12+ years without the mortgage.  AAOA without it is 7 years. 

I've opened three accounts this year, one was the sct, and one last year.  My inquiries are now 2 on EQ and EX, and 3 on TU.  I'm not sure how the inquiries worked out like they did, but I think the one account from my bank was a sp.

Not many resources available ~ I keep things within my limits, but not much extra, every extra penny has been going towards the balances though.  My equity.  I've owned this house 17 years, and the property value has climbed a lot in that time.  I have always paid more than my minimums on my cards, but I always used them a lot too.  I was mistakenly thinking that since the bank made more interest, it was better for you to use it to keep good credit.  I really didn't realize how much I did use them until I started just paying bills with them to keep them active.  My scores have been inching up since I began.

The negatives from the mess should all fall off by April 2016 if it does destroy my score.  At least that's one bright spot. 

I really wasn't sure which way to go.... Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.